create users sample keeps hitting 500 error?

04-13-2018 07:49 AM
JamesGustine
New Contributor III

I modified the create users functions from the Clone portal sample to create users in our new stack from the old portal. The script seems good, works for a few users then starts hitting 500 errors all the others (600+). 

Error:

java.lang.Exception: The server at 'https://mynewportal.com:7443/arcgis/sharing/rest/community/createUser' returned an error. Unable to signup user. ["Unable to add user."]
(Error Code: 500)

Anybody have any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I thought it was a certificate issue, but that looks ok.

Thanks for any input! 

from arcgis.gis import GIS
source_password = '*'
target_password = '*'
source = GIS("https://ouroldportal.com/arcgis", "arcgisportaladmin", source_password)
target = GIS("https://ournewportal.com/portal", "arcgisportaladmin", target_password)
target_admin_username = 'arcgisportaladmin'

source_users = source.users.search('!esri_ & !arcgisportaladmin', max_users=700)
for user in source_users:
    print(user.username + "\t:\t" + str(user.role)+  "\t:\t" +  str(user.idpUsername))

print (len(source_users))

# filter out system and initial administrator accounts
target_users = target.users.search('!esri_ & !arcgisportaladmin & !system_publisher', max_users=700)
print (target_users)

for source_user in source_users:
    try:
        target_user = target.users.get(source_user.username)
        if target_user is not None:
            print('Deleting user: ' + target_user.fullName)
            target_user.reassign_to(target_admin_username)
            target_user.delete()
    except:
        print('User {} does not exist in Target Portal'.format(source_user.username))

def copy_user(target_portal, source_user, pw):
    # See if the user has firstName and lastName properties
    try:
        first_name = source_user.firstName
        last_name = source_user.lastName
    except:
        # if not, split the fullName
        full_name = source_user.fullName
        first_name = full_name.split()[0]
        try:
            last_name = full_name.split()[1]
        except:
            last_name = 'NoLastName'

source_level = source_user.level
    if source_level == str("1"):
        source_role = 'org_viewer'
    if source_level == str("2"):
        source_role = 'org_user'
    if source_user.provider == 'enterprise':
        source_password = None
    if source_user.provider == 'arcgis':
        source_password = pw

try:
        # create user
        target_user = target_portal.users.create(username = source_user.email,
                            firstname = first_name,
                            lastname = last_name,
                            email = source_user.email,
                            role =source_role,
                            provider =source_user.provider, level=source_level, password=source_password)

# update user properties
        target_user.update(source_user.access, source_user.preferredView,
                           source_user.description, source_user.tags, 
                           source_user.get_thumbnail_link(),
                           culture=source_user.culture, region=source_user.region)

return target_user

except Exception as Ex:
        print(str(Ex))
        print("Unable to create user "+ source_user.username)
        return None

for user in source_users:
    print("Creating user: " + user.username)
    copy_user(target, user, 'TestPassword@123')‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JamesGustine
New Contributor III

Note: It is only happening on enterprise users. All "arcgis" users are created fine. The 1st enterprise user is created then all others fail....

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi James - have you made any progress on this issue?  I am following the esri "clone portal users" example and run into a similar error:  

https://server.com:7443/arcgis/sharing/rest/community/createUser' returned an error. The user account cannot be created as the role assigned to it does not exist.

I am also trying to do this with IWA for a new Portal in 10.6.1.  I am trying to migrate users, content, etc from the old Portal to the new Portal.  I am even hard coding 'org_user' and that does not work.  I print out the different built-in roles as well to make sure I am using the correct name.

Thanks,

Randy

0 Kudos
MikeButt
New Contributor II

We were experiencing the exact same issues.  I was able to add the first enterprise user successfully but then all following users failed with the error message Unable to signup user. ["Unable to add user."].  Did you ever solve this?  We are on 10.6.1 fully patched.

The only way we could get this working with enterprise was to add the idp_username to the list or parameters.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you ever resolved this? Exactly the same happened here, I could create a first user, but then I get the 500. yes, via idp_username it works, but it also allows to create users that are non-existent in the active directory which is really wierd!

0 Kudos