Copy Portal Item and Data between Portals

07-12-2019 01:24 AM
GNOMICAdmin
New Contributor III

I've seen the Clone Jupyter Notebook sample but this does not push the data across, just the items and still points back to the source portal.

I need to push the item and its data and have it re-published into the target portal. This could be hosted layers or federated arcgis services. 

Apart from Collaboration - can this be done through the arcgis api? How could this be done for Federated ArcGIS Server services.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi GNOMIC Admin‌,

Did you already have a look at ArcGIS Online Assistant ?

Here you can log in to your Portal for ArcGIS, search for item and select the option I want to Copy Content

You can copy between accounts and there are two options:

• Simple copy creates a reference to the original service in the destination account.
  • Full copy (EXPERIMENTAL) replicates the original service in the destination account and harvests all of its associated data.

HTH,

Egge-Jan

PaulHoefflerGISS
Occasional Contributor III

I've used the Assistant extensively, and only had problems copying a few legacy hosted items.

If you're looking to automate your processes you might dig through the code, which is all on GitHub: https://github.com/Esri/ago-assistant

If you're using SAML-based authentication with the Portals you need to register the assistant as an app item and can construct URLs for sign-on, but as an admin you may be doing all of your work with built-in user accounts.

For reference, you can pass Portal-specific parameters using this format: https ://ago-assistant.esri.com/?portal=[URL]&appid=[appID]

GNOMICAdmin
New Contributor III

Thanks for the info - we've found we we can't use this when one of our source portals is internal (not externally exposed) as the admin assistant can't see the portal to connect - unless we are missing something 

0 Kudos
GNOMICAdmin
New Contributor III

cancel that last comment - seems to be working now 🙂 

0 Kudos
GNOMICAdmin
New Contributor III

shortcoming here is that is only copys data over that is hosted in portal. Federated services are only copied as reference - so I assume you'd then need to re-publish the federated ones to the other portal and change the points. So not really a full enterprise clone process this, but rather just Portal content

0 Kudos
PaulHoefflerGISS

My understanding is that federated ArcGIS Server instances use Portal for ArcGIS as their identity store and have some integration for setting sharing/security on services, but are otherwise largely standalone. You could use the Python API to republish services, or Admin Tools for ArcGIS Online & Portal may be able to fully clone the federated services, but you'd need two licenses for their product ($) and I'm not sure that it has this capability.

0 Kudos
BlakeBilbo
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

This is Blake, and I'm the Head of Support for GEO Jobe GIS Consulting. As mentioned by Paul Hoeffler, our paid version of Admin Tools for ArcGIS provides a suite of different tools related to making the ArcGIS Administrator's job and workflows more streamlined, including a way to migrate items and their dependencies from one ArcGIS Online Org or Portal to another one. If you would like more information on this, please visit our Product Page, or contact me at bbilbo@geo-jobe.com 

0 Kudos
PaulHoefflerGISS

Hi Blake,

Does Admin Tools for ArcGIS support working with content published to non-hosting federated servers, in addition to the hosting server? If not, is that functionality planned?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
BlakeBilbo
Occasional Contributor

Hi Paul,

Can you explain what you are referring to by "content published to non-hosting federated server?" Are you talking about registered services rather than hosted services? If so, we believe it should work if it has access to the standard portal REST endpoints. More information about cloning and migrating content can be found in our Cloning-Related Knowledge Base Articles

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!

0 Kudos