Select to view content in your preferred language

Append Field Mapping Not Working

07-10-2024 09:29 AM
Labels (1)
JoelRogers
New Contributor II

Using the ArcGIS API for Python in a desktop Jupyter notebook. I am trying to automate a process of appending new data from a survey123 feature service into a feature service used by a dashboard. I am trying to use the Append method, but the field mapping does not work for fields that don't have matching names. There are no errors. The append works fine otherwise. Every field that has a matching name in the source and the target data appends and updates with upsert just fine. I seem to have similar or other issues with the Append method in the API for the last three years.

The process I have chosen is to query the records I need from the source data with the result being a dataframe. That dataframe is exported to a GDB. That GDB is used to append the records.

Is this a bug? Am I missing something? Does append just still not work properly?

from arcgis.gis import GIS
gis = GIS("PRO")

sourceData = gis.content.get({itemid})
targetData = gis.content.get({itemid})

targetData_lyr = targetData.layers[0]
sourceData_lyr = sourceData.layers[0]

sourceData_df = sourceData_lyr.query(
    where="Contract_Well_Status = 'Plugged' OR Contract_Well_Status = 'In Progress'",
    as_df=True,
    out_fields="Contract,FARM_NAME,county,Municipality,API,LAT_DEC,LON_DEC,Coal_Area,Bid_Package_to_Construction,Issue_Date,Pre_Bid_Meeting,Bid_Open_Date,Bid_Winner,Contracted_Amount,Recommendation_Memo,Contract_Award_Statement,Actual_Start_Date,Actual_End_Date,Final_Invoice_Amount,Plug_Cert,Final_Inspection_Date,wellStatus,Attainable_Bottom,Solid_Plug,Soil_Remediation,Ecological_Restoration,Infrastructure_Removal,Land_Type,wellScore,Environmental_Impact,Human_Impact,Leaking_Gas,Water_Contamination,environmentalJustice,Contract_Well_Status,Notice_to_Proceed,GlobalID"
)

sourceData_fc = gis.content.import_data(sourceData_df)
tempGDB = gis.content.search(query="title:" + sourceData_fc.title, item_type="File Geodatabase")
itemGDB = tempGDB[0]

targetData_lyr.append(item_id=itemGDB.id,
                 upload_format = "filegdb",
                 field_mappings=[{"name" : "Contract","sourceName" : "Contract"},
                                  {"name" : "Name","sourceName" : "FARM_NAME"},
                                  {"name" : "County","sourceName" : "county"},
                                  {"name" : "Municipality","sourceName" : "Municipality"},
                                  {"name" : "API","sourceName" : "API"},
                                  {"name" : "Lat","sourceName" : "LAT_DEC"},
                                  {"name" : "Long","sourceName" : "LON_DEC"},
                                  {"name" : "Coal_Area","sourceName" : "Coal_Area"},
                                  {"name" : "Bid_Package_to_Construction","sourceName" : "Bid_Package_to_Construction"},
                                  {"name" : "Issue_Date","sourceName" : "Issue_Date"},
                                  {"name" : "Pre_Bid_Meeting","sourceName" : "Pre_Bid_Meeting"},
                                  {"name" : "Bid_Open_Date","sourceName" : "Bid_Open_Date"},
                                  {"name" : "Bid_Winner","sourceName" : "Bid_Winner"},
                                  {"name" : "Contracted_Amount","sourceName" : "Contracted_Amount"},
                                  {"name" : "Recommendation_Memo","sourceName" : "Recommendation_Memo"},
                                  {"name" : "Contract_Award_Statement","sourceName" : "Contract_Award_Statement"},
                                  {"name" : "Actual_Start_Date","sourceName" : "Actual_Start_Date"},
                                  {"name" : "Actual_End_Date","sourceName" : "Actual_End_Date"},
                                  {"name" : "Final_Invoice_Amount","sourceName" : "Final_Invoice_Amount"},
                                  {"name" : "Plug_Cert","sourceName" : "Plug_Cert"},
                                  {"name" : "Final_Inspection_Date","sourceName" : "Final_Inspection_Date"},
                                  {"name" : "Status","sourceName" : "wellStatus"},
                                  {"name" : "Attainable_Bottom","sourceName" : "Attainable_Bottom"},
                                  {"name" : "Solid_Plug","sourceName" : "Solid_Plug"},
                                  {"name" : "Soil_Remediation","sourceName" : "Soil_Remediation"},
                                  {"name" : "Ecological_Restoration","sourceName" : "Ecological_Restoration"},
                                  {"name" : "Infrastructure_Removal","sourceName" : "Infrastructure_Removal"},
                                  {"name" : "Land_Type","sourceName" : "Land_Type"},
                                  {"name" : "AO_Final_Score","sourceName" : "wellScore"},
                                  {"name" : "Environmental_Impact","sourceName" : "Environmental_Impact"},
                                  {"name" : "Human_Impact","sourceName" : "Human_Impact"},
                                  {"name" : "Leaking_Gas","sourceName" : "Leaking_Gas"},
                                  {"name" : "Water_Contamination","sourceName" : "Water_Contamination"},
                                  {"name" : "EJ_Zone","sourceName" : "environmentalJustice"},
                                  {"name" : "Contract_Well_Status","sourceName" : "Contract_Well_Status"},
                                  {"name" : "Notice_to_Proceed","sourceName" : "Notice_to_Proceed"},
                                  {"name" : "GlobalID","sourceName" : "globalid"}
                                ],
                 upsert=True,
                 skip_updates=False,
                 use_globalids=False,
                 update_geometry=True,
                 rollback=False,
                 skip_inserts=False,
                 upsert_matching_field="GlobalID")

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @JoelRogers,

As a possible workaround, since you are using Pro, I would try using arcpy tools to perform this instead. 

You can easily get the code for each of these by setting up the tool in Pro, but before clicking Run, click the dropdown and choose Copy python Command.  You can then paste this into your script:

JakeSkinner_0-1720709679995.png

0 Kudos
JoelRogers
New Contributor II

Thanks @JakeSkinner . However, I did not say I am using Pro. I want a stand-alone script that I can run in ArcGIS Online as a task or a script where I don't have to rely on Pro. I just didn't want to show my admin credentials for the example above. Also, I am using Pro with a script for this exact workflow on a few other ETL processes because I haven't been able to get this process to work as expected. I don't like doing that. Using Pro presents its own problems. One of which is the user account automatically logs out randomly on the Pro instance on the server used for scripts.

I was hoping the API would work as advertised for this scenario, but I understand if I have to add this process to the list of Esri things that just aren't working yet.

0 Kudos