Enhance Group class with ability to check for pending Join requests

08-19-2022 12:36 PM
AaronKoelker
Occasional Contributor III

This is more of an ArcGIS API for Python idea than strictly Notebooks, but I don't see a group for that.

A need we've had for quite some time now is a more efficient notification system for pending requests to join an ArcGIS Online Group. As of now, there isn't a way to check (that I can see) that doesn't involve actually logging in to ArcGIS Online and going to the Groups page. There are a couple of existing ArcGIS Ideas posts about the option to be notified by email, but since they've been unresolved for so long I'm assuming there is an issue with introducing this functionality.

As an alternative, it would be nice if the ArcGIS API for Python 'Groups' class could have an additional property added stating if the Group has has any pending join requests outstanding (or better yet, even tell you how many!). Then users could at least write and schedule their own Notebooks to handle this task for them - for example, do a daily check of specific Group(s) for pending join requests and send out an email if any are found (using a method such as those in the ESRI Sample Notebook: Deploy Automatic Notifications).

A built-in option to send email notifications for Groups would still be ideal, but being able to write a custom Notebook using such a property would be find, too.

Thanks

-Aaron