What would be the best way to display an RSS feed with coordinate information on a map? Note that this is not a GeoRSS feed.

Jump to solution
01-29-2016 11:05 AM
MichaelRutkowski
New Contributor III

What would be the best way to display a RSS feed with coordinate information on a map. I'd prefer to have something that isn't hardcoded because I'll probably be pulling multiple feeds that are slightly different, and (e.g. pulling the coordinates from the feed and displaying them in a graphics layer). The RSS feeds I'd be pulling a elements for lat/long or x/y alongside elements containing attribute information of the point.

Note that the RSS feed is NOT a GeoRSS feed.

Thanks,

MR

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

For built-in stuff, I know there's the GeoEvent Processor for Server that can create a service from GeoRSS - http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=29f0689ec924498c9baf3bb2812dc78c

I haven't used the GeoEvent Processor before, so I can only go by the documentation, but you should be able to create a connector to most any real-time feed (Extending the GeoEvent Extension—Real-Time Data Feeds and Sensors (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Ser...​).

RSS is listed, though - Input Connectors—Real-time Data Feeds and Sensors (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server - not sure if that's just GeoRSS...

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Michael,

You could parse the RSS and create a JSON object, then a featureCollection, and then a featureLayer from the lat/longs and attributes, e.g. something like Feature collection | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

Before you do that, though, would you mind using a third-party utility? If not, you may want to consider the geonames RSS to GeoRSS converter:

http://api.geonames.org/rssToGeoRSS?feedUrl=http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/worldNews&username=demo

Then, just use the GeoRSS in the ArcGIS JSAPI - GeoRSS | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Doh, looks like the GeoNames demo account just exceeded its usage quote, lol

0 Kudos
MichaelRutkowski
New Contributor III

Too many people read your post

0 Kudos
MichaelRutkowski
New Contributor III

I wouldn't be totally against a 3rd party utility, though I didn't have much luck with GeoNames. I was thinking about creating my own service to transform the XML to GeoXML. Just upload the xslt to the service when I need to add a RSS layer.

I like the featureCollection option as well... I'll investigate that one.

Is there a way to bring in the RSS feed into ArcGIS Desktop and display that as a map service?

A typical feed might look similar to this:

<TrafficCams>

<Cam>

<name>Traffic Cam</name>

<description>A road in a town</description>

<image>

2.jpg

</image>

<lat>42.23</lat>

<long>-71.145</long>

<static1_direction>Southbound</static2_direction>

</Cam>

<Cam>

<name>Another Traffic Cam</name>

<description>Another road in another town</description>

<image>

4.jpg

</image>

<lat>41.20278779</lat>

<long>-71.03</long>

<static1_direction>Northbound</static1_direction>

</Cam>

</trafficCams>

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

For built-in stuff, I know there's the GeoEvent Processor for Server that can create a service from GeoRSS - http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=29f0689ec924498c9baf3bb2812dc78c

I haven't used the GeoEvent Processor before, so I can only go by the documentation, but you should be able to create a connector to most any real-time feed (Extending the GeoEvent Extension—Real-Time Data Feeds and Sensors (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Ser...​).

RSS is listed, though - Input Connectors—Real-time Data Feeds and Sensors (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server - not sure if that's just GeoRSS...

MichaelRutkowski
New Contributor III

Thank you Chris.... the GeoEvent processor seems to be the way to go!

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Let me know how it goes - I have been looking to incorporate real-time/streaming feeds into some of our maps... just haven't had any time for it yet!

The downside is that the GeoEvent Processor is a separate extension you'd have to purchase, and it might be overkill if your scope is limited, but they should have a trial just to see if it's the way to go for sure.

0 Kudos