Printing results in empty symbol in legend

05-16-2017 12:32 PM
NaciDilekli
Occasional Contributor

I am seeing a strange behavior with the print function. On the printed document the legend symbol is empty (while it is shown properly in some other legend tool) for this one feature service I have been using. I noticed this happens only if the fill color is assigned "No Color" in ArcMap. Otherwise, it renders it OK. It also shows it fine if I use a dynamic service, however, I don't want to use it as linear features are rendered horribly (aliasing I presume?) on the map. What might be causing this, is there a workaround? I tried both Esri's (https://utility.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/Utilities/PrintingTools/GPServer/Export%20Web%...) and my own print task. I am attaching an image of how it looks (The campus boundary is supposed to be a red empty polygon).

10 Replies
AndrewLindley
New Contributor III

Any luck with a solution or workaround for this problem? Just noticed the exact same problem with my print legend, although I'm not sure how the service is being published (whether or not its fill is 'No Color').

SarojThapa1
Occasional Contributor III

Naci,

Check out the following thread. it should answer your question.

Bug: The PrintingTools service produces garbled or pixelated legend patches in PDF output 

AndrewLindley
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Saroj,

That thread only seems to address a fix for the page layout size problem, and not the problem noted as: "The problem [that] also occurs with the legend patches of feature service layers and client side graphic layers when a picture marker or fill symbol is used."  Do you know if getting into the server and setting a larger page size for the print export is supposed to fix this problem as well?

SarojThapa1
Occasional Contributor III

Andrew, 

I am not completely sure. But I do believe setting a larger page size in arcgis server should fix the issue. What happens when you print as jpg and png 32 files? If the Campus Boundary symbol shows up when printing as jpg and png files, then setting a larger page size should fix the issue.

Good luck!

AndrewLindley
New Contributor III

Setting the export format to 'jpg' does not fix the problem, so I think it probably has to do with the fill symbol. Thanks for you help though.

0 Kudos
MuratKarahan
New Contributor III

Hi Naci, did you found any solution for this issue ?

0 Kudos
NaciDilekli
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately no.

0 Kudos
RossMorrow1
New Contributor II

I was just experiencing this issue, and could not solve the problem in ArcMap. I found this thread in my quest. However, I simply opened ArcGIS Pro (current version) and imported my mxd from ArcMap into a blank project. Voilà! It worked on the first export- my symbology is shown in the legend. One thing I did is check the box in the export settings to "Output as Image". I left the rest as default.

NaciDilekli
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Ross!