java script tutor required

01-05-2016 03:33 AM
TabraizAhmed
New Contributor II

I need to start and create an arc gis web application using java script, how?? I don't know how to do so,

please any one explain and help me with it, I AM NOT familiar here with any thing

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tabraiz,

A good starting place would be the below link:

Build your first application | Guide | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

MatthewBaber
Esri Contributor

Hello Tabraiz,

If you need hands-on training in the Javascripte API as it pertains to web apps here is a link to our training course for this class: Esri Training | Developing Web Apps with ArcGIS API for JavaScript

Wish you the best.

ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

To add some more resources, you should probably learn a bit about JavaScript and Dojo (a JavaScript library used by the ArcGIS JavaScript API):

JavaScript Tutorial

Dojo Tutorials - Dojo Toolkit

You'll probably want to go through the W3 tutorial before hitting anything Dojo related. Also, keep in mind prototyping sites, like jsfiddle:

Create a new fiddle - JSFiddle

A basic sample - Basic ArcGIS JS Slippy Map - JSFiddle

Here are some quick-start maps from Esri's github:

Esri/quickstart-map-js · GitHub

JordanBaumgardner
Occasional Contributor III

Seems like the goal is to get the app out and not necessarily to learn or understand javaScript. You may want to consider the Web Application Builder (Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS ) This will give you a very robust application w/o much, if any, coding. All of the standard mapping functions can be found in build in and 3rd party widgets. You could then write your own custom widget or contract it out.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

A good list of Javascript resources from the esri class

ArcGIS API for JavaScript Post Class Resources

But if you are not wanting to get into the nuts-and-bolts of JS customization yourself, you can always start with the ArcGIS Online out-of-the-box and Online Web Appbuilder (that to some degree can be downloaded and imported into the developer version if at some point you want to dig further into customization)

http://www.arcgis.com/home/

you can get a free develop account to test if you do not already have one.  check out some of the videos to get a feel for what you can do online

Videos—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

BenCamp
New Contributor III

Check out the sample library. Many of them are very easily adaptable with little knowledge of Javascript.

Samples | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

MikeTschudi
Occasional Contributor

I agree with Ben:  start with a sample, e.g., Create a map | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

The "Explore in the sandbox" option that many samples have helps me a lot because I can run the sample without having to set it up on a web server, yet still modify it to explore the API.