FlexViewer Framework import in Flash Builder/Flex SDK

Jump to solution
07-26-2013 08:40 AM
ClintonCooper1
New Contributor III
I found this blog entry  (http://esrimobile.blogspot.com/2013/02/arcgis-flex-application-on-adobe-air.html) which shows how you can take a flex viewer setup, import it into Adobe Flash Builder, and turn it into an adobe air app which can then be used for both Android and IOS phones.  My question is this, in the Blog entry it uses the flex viewer framework and the widgets/config files from another pre developed flex viewer app.  You just add the whole thing into Flash Builder through a new project import.  How can I get my widgets/app into this framework so I can upload it into flash builder and build my adobe air apps?  After I follow the configuration from this page (http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/concepts/index.html#//01m30000001q000000), I can see my widgets/config in the bin/debug menu a ways down under the flash builder project name.

Is it just something where I can copy or paste, or is it something where I will need to reconfigure all the src files?

I am using adobe flexviewer 3.4 and adobe flash builder 4.7 premium (with flex sdk 4.6)

Thanks in Advance!

Clinton Cooper
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RoryBiggadike
New Contributor II
Flex mobile is a flavor of AIR. The mobile version. This has nothing to do with size or number of widgets. It has to do with the architecture of the Flex Viewer for ArcGIS. You will need a new framework to use modified modules on mobiles.

--Rory

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MattSheehan
Occasional Contributor III
Flex modules are not supported in Flex Mobile. This article ports the viewer to the desktop; the section which states:

"The next step is to add all the modules to the project. Go to Project - Properties and then in the ArcGISFlexDesktop Properties dialog select Flex Modules and add the following mandatory widgets .... "

is where you will fail when you try to set this up for use on iOS/Android in a Flex Mobile Project.

--Rory
0 Kudos
ClintonCooper1
New Contributor III
Flex modules are not supported in Flex Mobile. This article ports the viewer to the desktop; the section which states:

"The next step is to add all the modules to the project. Go to Project - Properties and then in the ArcGISFlexDesktop Properties dialog select Flex Modules and add the following mandatory widgets .... "

is where you will fail when you try to set this up for use on iOS/Android in a Flex Mobile Project.

--Rory

Is there a workaround to get it to work?

Clinton
0 Kudos
RoryBiggadike
New Contributor II
The viewer is architect-ed to use compiled modules which it then loads. This is resource intensive. Flex mobile is for use on relatively resource challenged devices; tablets and smartphones. Thus the lack of support for Flex Modules. Widgets can be modified and used on mobile viewers on iOS/Android devices but require a different architecture.

--Rory
0 Kudos
ClintonCooper1
New Contributor III
So if I understand you correctly, this strategy will be too resource heavy for a smart phone?  What about paring down the widgets to say only one or two? 

After playing around with it, I was able to upload my own personal widgets (that I created) and got it to build/compile correctly into the air app (through which I could view on my computer).  But if what you are saying is true, then when I go to put this onto my smartphone it will bog down?

Clinton
0 Kudos
RoryBiggadike
New Contributor II
Flex mobile is a flavor of AIR. The mobile version. This has nothing to do with size or number of widgets. It has to do with the architecture of the Flex Viewer for ArcGIS. You will need a new framework to use modified modules on mobiles.

--Rory
0 Kudos
ClintonCooper1
New Contributor III
ok, now I understand. This blog post goes through how to convert a desktop based flex app into a desktop based air app.  So what I am trying to do involves creating a mobile flex project which does not run the same way as the windowed apps.  So my question is this, are there any good resources out there that can help show how to make the necessary conversions to the modular widgets in order to get them to work on a mobile platform?

Clinton
0 Kudos