Query Address Locator using LIKE % Selection Statements

Jump to solution
02-02-2016 06:02 AM
JeremyMullins4
New Contributor III

Is it possible to bring back a list of addresses using the address locators styles within ArcMap? I need to be able to create a locator using customer street and point data that can perform SQL statements, basically.

Here is an example. I want to take to be able to take the following address:

1234 Main St, Anywheretown, USA 12345

When I start to type the address:

1234 M

I want the returned list to come back as:

1234 Main St, Anywheretown, USA, 12345

1234 Malorie Dr, Anywheresville, USA, 12365

1234 Mitten Ct, Anywhere City, USA 12355

Basically, I want the search of 1234 M to basically act like a sql statement of ADDRESS LIKE '1234 M%'

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeremy-

What you've described is similar to suggestions that can be seen when using the World Geocoding Service in ArcGIS Online or via REST. It is possible to create an address locator at version 10.3+ with suggestions, but in order to use the suggestions the locator must be published to ArcGIS Server 10.3+ and the geocode service will allow you to use suggestions via REST. The geocode service could be used in ArcMap, but suggestions are not supported in the Find tool or Geocoding toolbar in ArcMap. Currently in ArcGIS Pro using the Locate pane you can see suggestions from the World Geocoding Service.

At this time the only other offline options would be to use StreetMap Premium locators, which have suggestions built in for the 2015 Release 2 products, so if you were to publish them as geocode services to ArcGIS Server 10.3+, you would be able to make use of suggestions via REST. A local version of the World Geocoding Service called World Geocoder for ArcGIS will be available in the near future for organizations to use offline and behind their firewalls.

-Shana

View solution in original post

12 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Jeremy,

Will you be using the address locator in ArcGIS Desktop or in an online app?

Tim

0 Kudos
JeremyMullins4
New Contributor III

I'd like to be able to pull this off in ArcGIS Desktop, so that the locator can then interface with our company's proprietary applications.

Currently our applications get this data from SQL database (which is built using a customer's GIS data, generating streets and cross streets).

Does that help?

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Could you integrate the ESRI javascript api?

This looks like what you want: ArcGIS API for JavaScript Sandbox

0 Kudos
JeremyMullins4
New Contributor III

We have created a mapping solutions app using the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET; we chose this route because we could use offline data thanks to the packaging of the geodata as runtime content (which also has it as a much smaller file size as well). So when a call comes in, our mapping application can also read the spatial information associated to that location from the SQL table and plot it on the map.

We were hoping to move to Esri-based geocoding through their REST endpoint, but seeing as that doesn't help us in places where online is not an option and they have moved it to an ArcGIS Online Organizational Account subscription based service, we were trying to create a locator that could basically geocode as described above and then share as runtime content.

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeremy,

You can use ArcGIS Pro.  Pro supports using suggestions for the World Geocoding Service and locators built with 10.3 published to ArcGIS Server and hosted in your own ArcGIS Portal.  In addition to that, Pro 1.2 will be able to use locators with suggestions directly from Server without having to use Portal.

Brad

JeremyMullins4
New Contributor III

That's great - I'll definitely need to look into this. We have ArcGIS Pro 1.1 and I'm looking forward to gearing up for 1.2. Thanks for the insight!

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeremy-

What you've described is similar to suggestions that can be seen when using the World Geocoding Service in ArcGIS Online or via REST. It is possible to create an address locator at version 10.3+ with suggestions, but in order to use the suggestions the locator must be published to ArcGIS Server 10.3+ and the geocode service will allow you to use suggestions via REST. The geocode service could be used in ArcMap, but suggestions are not supported in the Find tool or Geocoding toolbar in ArcMap. Currently in ArcGIS Pro using the Locate pane you can see suggestions from the World Geocoding Service.

At this time the only other offline options would be to use StreetMap Premium locators, which have suggestions built in for the 2015 Release 2 products, so if you were to publish them as geocode services to ArcGIS Server 10.3+, you would be able to make use of suggestions via REST. A local version of the World Geocoding Service called World Geocoder for ArcGIS will be available in the near future for organizations to use offline and behind their firewalls.

-Shana

JeremyMullins4
New Contributor III

Shana,

Thanks for the information. This is something I can bring to my superiors and see what we can do. Is there any sort of ETA on the World Geocoder for ArcGIS and will it function much like the online version (using 'x' credits for 'x' number of geocode requests)?

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeremy:

The World Geocoder for ArcGIS is targeted to be available Q1 2016 and will be a licenced package with 3 different licence levels, so there will be a fixed cost, that consists of ArcGIS for Server, Data (locators) and Professional Services. The basic licence has a limit of geocoding 250M records per year.

It will include a ready-to-use Geocoding API that you can use right away in ArcGIS apps or configure into custom apps. The key capabilities are Interactive Geocoding (GeoSearch), Batch Geocoding, Reverse Geocoding, and Suggestions (results as you type). For more details feel free to send your questions to WorldGeocoder@esri.com.

-Shana