Point file information

10-12-2011 12:18 AM
Ann_KarinHalvorsen
New Contributor
ArcGis 10.1 supports only use of folders. Not files anymore. Why?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
ArcGis 10.1 supports only use of folders. Not files anymore. Why?

Hi Ann,

Could you elaborate on the above? If I start the Point File Information tool I am able to select both files and folders.
Also the Help states that this is possible:

http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00q900000025000000.htm

Kind regards,
0 Kudos
Ann_KarinHalvorsen
New Contributor
[ATTACH]9545[/ATTACH]

Here is a print screen of Point file information in 10.1
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
[ATTACH]9545[/ATTACH]

Here is a print screen of Point file information in 10.1

I still don't get it... I am able to select both files and folder in 10.1. See attached screenshot.

Kind regards,
0 Kudos
Ann_KarinHalvorsen
New Contributor
Have you tried to create a point file informatin file for one or two lasfiler?
In 10.0 you select a file or kataolog top of the window. This is now gone. And I can not selected any las files if I click the icon to retrieve files. I'll just chosen directory. And then make the point file information for this.

[ATTACH]9617[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Have you tried to create a point file informatin file for one or two lasfiler?
In 10.0 you select a file or kataolog top of the window. This is now gone. And I can not selected any las files if I click the icon to retrieve files. I'll just chosen directory. And then make the point file information for this.

Hi Ann Karin,

Now I understand the issue. You are right, there is a problem with  the selection of .LAS files in several tools. This is also mentioned in the thread below.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/42096-Trouble-with-.LAS-files

The 10.0 version used the standard (windows) File Open dialog, which uses "All Files (*.*)". In 10.1 this dialog has been replaced by the one based on ArcGIS (ArcCatalog). Since this dialog does not yet suport .LAS files (yet?) as a supported format, the LAS file are not shown.

To go around this open your Windows Exporer and drag and drop the LAS file(s) from the Windows explorer to the input box on the Point File Information Dialog (see attached image). This will work for now (or just place the LAS file in a separate folder and select that folder).

Kind regards,
0 Kudos
Ann_KarinHalvorsen
New Contributor
Thank you. But why can I choose different files when Creat LAS dataset? There is no problem selecting LAS files when I want to make this.
0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Thank you. But why can I choose different files when Creat LAS dataset? There is no problem selecting LAS files when I want to make this.

Hi Ann Karin,

Just have a look at the two attached screendumps of the Dialogs. One is the Windows standard File Open Dialog (used in the Create LAS dataset tool) and the other is the ArcGIS File Open Dialog (used in the Point File Information and when converting LAS to Multipoint). There are quite some differences.

So either they are using the wrong dialog to browse for LAS file or they're using the right dialog, but the dialog has not been adapted to support LAS files yet...

Either way, this should be resolved by Esri.

Kind regards,
0 Kudos
Ann_KarinHalvorsen
New Contributor
Thanks for the clarification!
0 Kudos