Select to view content in your preferred language

Layer 3D to Feature Class not retaining Z values, AND saving incorrectly?

02-18-2012 05:01 PM
RyanSchuermann
New Contributor
Is this function seriously broken or is it just me?
Environment: Z Values - Output has Z Values: Same as Input

I went and created a Polygon Z feature class, created some features, set the Z values for each vertex = 3D feature.
Am I correct in calling this a 3D feature? it has no volume, but it's still 3D since each point has a different Z value. I used "Add Z Information" and min/max values look great.

...side problem...
Now, when I try to load the FC in ArcGlobe..it defaults to Draped Layer. So I move it up to Floating Layer because the feature is independent of any surface...
Set Elevation to "Floating without a surface" ...then wth? I can't set "Use elevation values in the layer" ...why not?? Oh.....
Why am I FORCED to use Globe Extrusion of 0 before I can set that? now...I no longer have a realistic 3D footprint representing my 3D features, I have some fictitious 3D polygon w/ volume.
Did I miss a step or setting? Do I have to create a TIN based on my feature's elevations (a false surface) and drape my 3D FC layer on that to get a 0 volume 3D 'footprint'?

Ok, fine, fine, I was going to extrude it anyways based on a field holding values ranging from -0.5 to 1.0. So I go and extrude the features by that field "adding it to each feature's base height"
...and it looks perfect. the surfaces with negative values extrude down, and the positive values extrude up..

Layer 3D to Feature Class buggy??
1)
I input my layer that I just extruded, the one that looks projected and extruded perfectly in ArcGlobe, and it runs....
But...
If I run that tool again, it won't let me select the exact same layer in the drop-down...wth? I can't export this layer again? Fine! I'll save, close ArcGlobe, reload, and oh look, the tool lets me choose my layer once again. (annoying)

Layer 3D to Feature Class broken??
2)
The tool's result is another floating fc layer of multipatch, which is nowhere to be seen. I run "Add Z Information" to quickly assess min/max elevation values...which should be the orig Z fc layer Z values + the extrusion value...
It bugs out and says it finished but never does.... (annoying) Force Quit..reload ArcGlobe...
back to the function's output...
Z min is now set to the value in field I specified as the extrusion value. I just lost my Z data when going from Polygon Z to Multipatch using this function!
I zoom to the newly created multipatch layer (even remove and add it) to inspect it and 2/9 polygons were extruded in the wrong direction (+0.20 instead of -0.20) The field is set correctly, the value is within the range of the other values, it extrudes properly in the orig Polygon Z fc layer....wth?

Is this going to be a nightmare setting the multipatch Z values to equal the orig Polygon Z values + my extrude value so that I can have my 3D features with proper spatial coordinates?

any insight/ideas are appreciated!

..ok this just gets worse...in ArcMap, I load the Polygon Z feature class, run Add Z Information, it all looks really good! I make sure I have nothing selected and run Layer 3D to Feature Class, select my Polygon Z layer, specify output..and guess what it does? It creates a feature class of 12 Multipatch features that are the exact same at Feature ObjectID 0. But..the table attribute data is retained, I just have 12 of the same one feature now instead of 12 distinct features 😞 Good news is, it still had the proper Z range 😕
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies