get more realistic landscape for 3D ArcGIS WebScene

10-25-2019 10:37 AM
AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi,

In my webscene, I am using the default Esri elevation layer:

WorldElevation3D/Terrain3D (ImageServer) 

Although the terrain does show variation in the land surface, trees and Buildings remain flat, as shown in the picture

I'd like to have at least the trees/bushes be more realistic without having to manually create multiple 3D features (which would be very impractical for showing scenes word-wide) in a Globe Scene to represent realistic terrain.

Also, I am using Portal for ArcGIS WebScenes, and I don't see a way to exaggerate the ground layer.

Is there imagery, or world-wide 3D data available to accomplish what I want?

Sorry for all the @Mentions below, but I figured I'd reach out to some the greatest 3D professionals in the world that I've heard of:

Chris Andrews

Ivonne Seler

Philip Mielke

Eric Krause

Keith VanGraafeiland

Khalid Duri

Ken Field

Nathan Shephard

William Morrish

Tamrat Belayneh

Jie Chang

Lindsay Weitz

Stephen Heidelberg

Gianluca Miele

Javier Gutierrez

Javier Martínez Gutierrez

Michael Contreras

Kristian Ekenes

Jinwu Ma

Gert Van Maren

Phil Sanchez

Janett Baresel

Russell Roberts

Elevation Data

1 Reply
JacobHelfman1
New Contributor III

Andres Castillo For the terrain, I would consider draping the raster over an elevation dataset (Defining data as a draped layer in ArcScene—Help | ArcGIS Desktop , Define height characteristics for layers—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation). And for the 3d objects, I would consider ArcGIS Pro's preset layers (Preset layers—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation) or for the architecture, I would try using Esri's CityEngine software, which utilizes rule packages to automatically generate buildings are a macroscale (CGA modeling overview—Help | Documentation). Another option for other objects like vehicles or miscellaneous structures could be importing them from other 3D software like SketchUp (3D Warehouse ) or Autodesk (https://gallery.autodesk.com/ ). Fortunately,  different 3D formats are cross-platform compatible, but my experience is mostly limited to importing using Collada and Multipatch files into ArcGIS Pro.