Select to view content in your preferred language

3D volume evaluation with WebScene widget

04-10-2018 11:52 PM
Environnement_1Lausanne
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

We are looking for a tool to calculate 3D volumes (selection of surface and then calculation of the elevation differences between 2 drone datasets).

Are there any already available tools or widgets for WebScene ?

If not, what would you recommend ? Do you have a documentation explaining how widgets can be developped ?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Best,

Aureline

1 Reply
RalucaNicola1
Esri Contributor

Hi Auerlie,

we don't have out of the box tools for calculating 3D volumes. I guess you could build your own, but it probably wouldn't be extremely accurate. I didn't really understand your workflow: what do you mean by selection of surface? 

I imagine that if you wanted to calculate the volume between two surfaces, you would have to draw a polygon or somehow select the area for which you want to calculate the volume. Then you could split the polygon in a grid and for each point in the grid I would get the elevation in each of the surfaces and then calculate the volume as grid cell area * height difference. Summing up the volumes for each of the cuboids should you give you an approximation of the whole volume (not very accurate though).

As for making a widget out of it, check out this tutorial: Create a custom widget | ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.6 or have a look at this video from devsummit 2017: Building Your own Widget with ArcGIS API for JavaScript - YouTube 

Raluca

0 Kudos