Matching up two different LiDAR datasets

Jump to solution
10-11-2016 11:30 AM
MichaelMadsen1
New Contributor II

Hello! I am trying to compare two different LiDAR data sets to look at soil erosion. I am fairly new to using LiDAR and have hit a snag. The two datasets have different resolution, with one being roughly .4 meters and the other almost 1 meter. With the varying resolutions I cannot properly match them up to use things like raster calculator. How do I reduce the resolution of one dataset to match the other? Or am I going about this solution wrong? Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ArthurCrawford
Esri Contributor

Another process that might work would be to take the raw lidar point clouds and add them to mosaic datasets with a filter of ground only.     Give both the same point size (smallest) and use triangulation instead of binning.  Then add an arithmetic function to one to minus the other, that will give you a difference image you can export.   Have it set to bilinear interpolation for the mosaic dataset.

Arthur Crawford - Esri

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Are you starting with the raw LAS pointcloud file or a processed bare earth raster?

0 Kudos
MichaelMadsen1
New Contributor II

Well I have created a bare earth raster from the raw LAS pointcloud file but the pixels are not lining up. 

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

My guess would be to set the sampling type to CELLSIZE and set the sampling value to 1 for both in the LAS Dataset to Raster tool. The tool also honors the Cell Size and Snap Raster environments, so you can try setting those to be double sure that the rasters match exactly..

ArthurCrawford
Esri Contributor

Another process that might work would be to take the raw lidar point clouds and add them to mosaic datasets with a filter of ground only.     Give both the same point size (smallest) and use triangulation instead of binning.  Then add an arithmetic function to one to minus the other, that will give you a difference image you can export.   Have it set to bilinear interpolation for the mosaic dataset.

Arthur Crawford - Esri

MichaelMadsen1
New Contributor II

Worked perfectly, the mosaics line up great and I was able to carry out a minus function.Thanks!

0 Kudos
ArthurCrawford
Esri Contributor

Glad it worked for you!   I work with mosaic datasets to extract buildings and tree from lidar.   Check out my blog https://community.esri.com/people/acrawford-esristaff/blog/2016/07/18/arthurs-feature-extraction-fro...

0 Kudos