How would I insert Grid and Graticules in ArcScene?

03-20-2016 10:22 PM
NasirHameed
New Contributor III

I have searched Grids and Graticules option in ArcScene 10.3 but didn't found there. I am specifically interested to mark Y-axis (as in below map I've prepared in Surfer) to show vertical values of my DEM. How would I do this in ArcScene?

Front View.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Well height, in a distance perspective view like ArcScene is somewhat false.

You can't actually insert grids / graticules into ArcScene like you can do in the normal top down, planimetric view of ArcMap.

What I have done in the past is to create a grid of polylines and use that to provide a visual reference.

If you don't know how to use python to create features on a regular grid, see the Create Fishnet tool,

Then you could use this set at various heights to give you the visual reference you require.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Oh, and that's the Z axis btw.

0 Kudos
NasirHameed
New Contributor III

I have used Fishnet to place it on planimetric view in ArcMap and overlaid it in ArcScene by converting it in 3D, but it is not appealing at all. You know, I am working to get Z values (Y xis) which you have rightly indicated is absent. I think there would be such facility available in ArcScene in its new version.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Maybe there is in ArcGISPro, but I havn't looked at that yet.

0 Kudos
NasirHameed
New Contributor III

I think next version of ArcScene would be equipped to facilitate users regarding composition of their perspective view. Currently, I do not see 'layout' option there. Consequently, you cant insert legends, grid and graticules, scalebar etc. Although, these options are much common in other GIS software.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

They're not there because a view in ArcScene is not "a map". It is a 3d visualization. As such, scale bars and other layout elements are never actually true but vary across the image depending on the perspective. Most snap shots of 3d scenes make for poor visualization anyway, and only become meaningful either "live" by viewing the data in Scene itself, or by creating a movie using a fly through or create a 3d web scene.

NasirHameed
New Contributor III

I am agree with your perception with respect to scale distortions, but in many cases the availability of such tools helps a lot. E.g, have a look on the below map where I have finalized the layout settings in Microsoft Power Point including legend. Here legend helps to easily interpret the view with respect to land cover.

Landcover Mzd.jpg

Although, I didn't include scale which was not important in this case.

NasirHameed
New Contributor III

and this one I have prepared in Surfer due to nonavailability of said facilities in ArcScene.

The scalebar and color ramps, X and Y axis label etc really make difference.

nasir-3D Perspective View.jpg

NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Very nice Nasir.

0 Kudos