New error with Excel To Table

Jump to solution
12-20-2019 07:02 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

ArcGIS Pro 2.4.3

Having just upgraded to the latest patch, I am now seeing something new (for me) when running the Excel to Table tool:

I just  X the window and continue; it seems to work just fine...  

Kory Kramer

That should just about do it....
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you attempt to access an Excel file in ArcGIS Pro without the appropriate driver installed, you will receive the error Required Microsoft driver is not installed..

To work with Excel files in ArcGIS Pro, you must download and install the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable from the Microsoft Download Center.

from the help, which you presumably installed?

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Joe do a conda list and see what the version number is.  This is the version for 2.5 beta 3,

(arcgispro-py3) C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3>conda list sql
# packages in environment at C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3:
#
sqlite                    3.29.0               he774522_0

(arcgispro-py3) C:\arc_pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3>
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I doubt this has anything to do with patch 3.  See https://community.esri.com/thread/240038-arcgis-pro-exceltosqlite-has-stopped-working-error 

It may be related to Access database driver versions... but not sure why you had not seen the issue previously.  

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Kory-  looks like I have the 2007 version:

Just curious if there is documentation from ESRI stating the new one is needed. I've run excel to table dozes of time in past version up to 2.4.0 without an issue.  

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you attempt to access an Excel file in ArcGIS Pro without the appropriate driver installed, you will receive the error Required Microsoft driver is not installed..

To work with Excel files in ArcGIS Pro, you must download and install the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable from the Microsoft Download Center.

from the help, which you presumably installed?

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Haven't yet. But I will...

Done:

For anyone reading this with the same problem: I downloaded the 2016 Redistributable. If you go to the main download page Dan Patterson‌ mentions, do a search the 'access'.  Following the instructions Kory Kramer‌ mentioned in his post, I downloaded the 32 bit version and installed it from the command line as discussed here:

OliviaHarrison
New Contributor III

I have also just come across this since upgrading to 2.5

I was previously able to open Excel files, and am now getting this error:

Both my PC and laptop are 64-bit. Do I need to install the 32-bit driver?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Olivia, sorry that you're running into an error.  Did you upgrade to 2.5 from 2.4 or an earlier version?

ArcGIS Pro 2.5 is able to use either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine driver as described here Work with Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS Pro—Excel | Documentation The documentation indicates to install the bit-version of the driver that matches your Microsoft products (not the machine).  So find out what bit-version of MS Office you're using, then download and install the corresponding Access Database driver from the download center link provided in the ArcGIS Pro help.  It is recommended to restart the machine after the installation.  Follow the steps provided and circle back if there are any issues.

OliviaHarrison
New Contributor III

Hi Kory

I upgraded from 2.4 - had been installing the patches as I went along. I don't use spreadsheets that much, but a colleague, who also recently upgraded from 2.4, was running into problems, so I asked him to send me the spreadsheet. Now I have the error too! Not sure if there's anything in the spreadsheet structure/naming convention that would make any difference?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Were you successfully reading Excel documents in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.x (have to ask since you say you don't use spreadsheets much...)?  i.e. do you remember already installing the Access Database engine driver before?  Because prior to ArcGIS Pro 2.4, Pro used a gdal driver.  It was at 2.4 where it required the Access driver which resolves a lot of usability issues that had been reported from our users.  At 2.4, you would have needed the 32-bit driver.  If that was installed on the machine, there shouldn't have been any issue updating to Pro 2.5.

Another possibility that we've actually seen, is that an organization actually changes/pushes a new version of Microsoft office products at or around the same time as upgrading Pro from 2.4 to 2.5.  It will be necessary to work through the steps provided in  Work with Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS Pro—Excel | Documentation If you need help with that, Technical Support will be able to work with you.

Thank you.