"The input has a selection." - slap a clear button in there!

11-01-2023 06:47 PM
Labels (1)
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

wayfaringrob_0-1698888651373.png

I appreciate this warning banner, and I'd appreciate it even more if it included a clear button right there by refresh. A lot of the time (maybe even most), I don't want to run my tools on a selection. I've added a clear button to my quick access, you can find it on the ribbon somewhere (map view only), and newer versions have a button in the bottom corner, but that only shows up in map view. If you're in a layout, your window's in the way, etc, you're out of luck. Even if you did have the button always visible like I do, a quick button right there would be super useful in many circumstances. Redundancy is not always bad.

Another solution might be to just have a switch to flip off running on the selection - retaining the selection, in case you were doing something else with it.

16 Comments
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor

Hi wayfaringrob,

Here is the good news: what you suggested has already been implemented for the upcoming release. Hope you will get it soon.  🙂

MargaretCrawford
Status changed to: In Product Plan

Hi @wayfaringrob, in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 there will be a toggle on the message that you can use to honor the selected, highlighted, or filtered records, or turn it off to processes all your records without removing it from your layer.

We also removed the refresh button from the tip, as it now automatically refreshes as you update or remove your selection, highlight, or filter.

MargaretCrawford_0-1698937203411.png

wayfaringrob

Neat, thanks all!

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.2. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.2.

The Your Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 blog and video have been posted to the Esri Community blog. You can take a look at these to see your idea and all others that were implemented in this release of ArcGIS Pro.

MargaretCrawford

You can also learn more about how the toggle works in this blog: Geoprocessing UIUX Enhancements  in ArcGIS Pro 3.2

Bud
by

Regarding the wording, “Use the highlighted records: 4”:

Did Esri consider putting the word “only” in there? 

• Only use the highlighted records: 4”
  • ”Use the highlighted records only: 4”

Or did you figure that was unnecessary? Just curious, not suggesting one way or the other.

Bud
by

@MargaretCrawford 

In ArcGIS Pro 3.2 there will be a toggle on the message that you can use to honor the selected, highlighted, or filtered records, or turn it off to processes all your records without removing it from your layer.

Bud_0-1703155669092.png

If the toggle were disabled (ALL records will be used), what kinds of filters would be ignored?

1. Definition query
  2. Range
  3. Time
  4. Extents
  5. Join - Matching-only

What was the rationale for ignoring filters?

Is there a way to make it clearer that disabling the selection also disables the filter? Other than the explanation in the tooltip.

Did Esri consider providing separate toggles, one for the selection, and one for filtering (only available if the selection toggle is disabled)? The downside being added complexity.

Source:

MargaretCrawford

If the toggle were disabled (ALL records will be used), what kinds of filters would be ignored?

Attribute-based filters: time, range, and definition queries.
see: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/appendices/filtered-inputs-for-geoprocessing... 

What was the rationale for ignoring filters? 

Did Esri consider providing separate toggles, one for the selection, and one for filtering (only available if the selection toggle is disabled)? 

No, we didn't consider this as an alternative. Geoprocessing has had these rules about handling selections first then filters since ArcMap. We do not want to change this logic since many users may count on getting consistent behaviours.

Is there a way to make it clearer that disabling the selection also disables the filter? Other than the explanation in the tooltip.

Not that I am aware of, but I saw the idea you just posted. We will keep it open and see how people feel about the wording. Thank you!
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/gp-tool-selection-toggle-clarify-tooltip-wording/idi-... 

Bud
by

@MargaretCrawford 

Attribute-based filters: time, range, and definition queries.
see: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/appendices/filtered-inputs-for-geoprocessing... 

I would consider a join (matching-only) to be an attribute filter. How do GP tools handle such joins when ignoring attribute filters due to the toggle? Does the join (matching-only) get ignored or is it honoured?

Bud
by