ArcGIS 10: ESRI Tutorial-Executing tools in ModelBuilder. How to save a new mode?l

02-22-2012 03:28 AM
ScottChang
New Contributor II
Hi all,

I am new in using ModelBuilder in ArcGIS 10 and I need very basic stuff/tutorials of ModelBuilder to get myself a good understanding of doing ModelBuilder.  I did search on the ???Help??? menu and found 2 tutorials (Executing tools in ModelBuilder and Creating tools with ModelBuilder).   I followed the instructions of the ???Executing tools in ModelBuilder??? tutorial (see the attached file) to pick up the basic stuff of ModelBuilder in ArcGIS 10.  I managed to complete the Steps 1 & 2 of 6-Running the model.  I had to leave my desk to attend a long meeting. So I thought I need to save the model for future use.  I went to see 7-Saving a model (see the last page of the attached file) and I could not find  the ???New Toolbox??? icon in the ???Save??? tool.    I kept loosing the models I created, if I don???t save them.   Please kindly help and tell me how to rename and then save the new models (with tbx extension) I created in the ???ModelBuilder??? Save tool (i.e. I want the new models (with tbx extension) renamed and then saved in the "red" Toolbox/trunk).

Thanks,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos
1 Reply
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
  Please kindly help and tell me how to rename and then save the new models (with tbx extension) I created in the �??ModelBuilder�?� Save tool (i.e. I want the new models (with tbx extension) renamed and then saved in the "red" Toolbox/trunk).

Models don't have a tbx extension. Models must be saved inside a toolbox (.tbx) which serves as sort of a workspace for models and scripts.

If you create a model from scratch with the model button in the desktop interface, you need to save them inside a toolbox. In the save dialog at the upper right there is (now, didn't used to be!) a button to create a toolbox in the current folder. Then you can navigate into that toolbox, name the model, and hit save.
0 Kudos