Select to view content in your preferred language

GP Background Processing

11-23-2009 12:49 PM
ArcGISUser
Frequent Contributor
Can you run your own custom script tools asynchronously or is this reserved only for ESRI GP tools?

Running my script tools synchronously work fine, but when I enable "Background Processing", my script tool failed with ERROR 000840 and tells me that the value is not a raster layer. My layers are all vector layers. I am not in edit mode.

Okay, so this is new to me... I am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ArcGISUser
Frequent Contributor
I ran my custom model tools synchronously and asynchronously and not in edit mode.  I found similar behavior where it works fine until I enable background processing.  Please see attachment.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Could you please either post your tool/script or log a support call?

I'd be interested in seeing exactly what you have going on in there.
0 Kudos
ArcGISUser
Frequent Contributor
I will call support.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
ArcGISUser
Frequent Contributor
I just logged this in with support and sent both tools.  Yeah this is odd, especially when these tools are what we use everyday. They are really simple tools using a combination of Select By Attributes and Select By Location... Yup, that is as complex as it gets.  I will keep you updated. 😉
0 Kudos
ArcGISUser
Frequent Contributor
These issues were duplicated by Tech Support.  When I get the bug number(s), I will post them here.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
ArcGISUser
Frequent Contributor
So going back to my original question:

GP Background Processing should run for custom script tools/models, right? Or is this reserved only for ESRI GP tools?

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
ArcGISUser
Frequent Contributor
Tech Support told me that they tested the issue some more from scratch and was able to continually reproduce the issue.  The tech analyst also searched on the 9.4 help, but could not find any reason for the behavior. He logged it in as the following bug:

[#NIM051547  Background geoprocessing setting affects toolbox model and script tools]

Hopefully this gets fixed. Thanks.
0 Kudos