Select to view content in your preferred language

Feature Service - read for public and read/write for named Users

06-30-2014 11:33 PM
JörgMoosmeier
Esri Contributor
Hi,

some of our customers have problems implementing a workflow and I also can't find a way.
They have a hosted Feature Service for public information. Everyone can view the FeatureService (or Webmap), but not edit the features. Therefore the edit capability of the Feature Service is not activated.
But some organizational user should be allowed to edit this Feature Service. An Administator can add the Feature Service with full editing capabilities to a Webmap. But editing a Service is not the task of an Administrator and the users who should edit the features, are not allowed to have administrative rights. Even the new 'customer roles' don't seem to help.

Has anybody the same requests for such a workflow? Has anybody found a solution?

Thank you,
Joerg
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes, the current workflow requires that you either own the feature layer or are an administrator to be able to edit it. The other option is to remove the layer from public sharing when editing is required. (I.e., unshare the layer, enable editing, make your edits, then disable editing and share it again).

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JörgMoosmeier
Esri Contributor
Hi Mike,

thanks. The way to unshare the Feature Service could be a solution in some cases....

I have another idea around application login. Not sharing the feature service public, but using an application login.... This way the feature service would only be visible for organizational user and everyone else could only access the feature service via an app without edit functionality. But the customer would have to host the application (and a proxy server)...

Regards,
Joerg
0 Kudos