Can I create a select by attributes tool in ARCGIS Online?

06-15-2014 09:20 PM
TaylorLundeen
New Contributor
I am trying to figure out if and how I can create a select by attributes tool for a map service within ARCGIS Online, since the tool is not available on that program. I was wondering if there is a script I could run in the API that would do this, or if I could somehow incorporate python script into ARCGIS Online, since I know the python code to run a selection by attributes.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
This might answer your question 🙂
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
tlundeen:

Have you tried using the Filter tool on a map service layer to Select by Attributes?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34605[/ATTACH]

Online Help:
http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/use-maps/apply-filters.htm
0 Kudos
TaylorLundeen
New Contributor
I tried following those instructions for Creating Filters, but I could not find filter under the drop down menu next to the layer
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Taylor:

Is the map service coming from your web map server?  Are you able to see and adjust map service properties?

The attached image shows the map service properties "Operations Allowed" for the map service that I can perform a Filter operation on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34615[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
TaylorLundeen
New Contributor
I think it's ARCGIS Server you're thinking of, I'm using ARCGIS Online.
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Yep, I get it.  My question was are you using a map service that you created and own or are you using a map service from an agency server?

For instance, load this map service into your AGOL map.
http://137.227.242.85/ArcGIS/rest/services/Wetlands/MapServer

Now, can you see a Filter option for the Continental US layer like that shown in the attachment below?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34621[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
TaylorLundeen
New Contributor
I uploaded the data onto ArcGIS online from Arcmap using 'Add Layer from file' and I am using an agency server
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
For the layer that you uploaded from ArcMap - when you view the Item Details for that layer from within AGOL, have you "Enabled" editing in the Properties at the bottom of the Details page then Saved?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34623[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
TaylorLundeen
New Contributor
Editing doesn't show up for me, just "Tags", "Credits", "Delete Protection", "Save As", "Offline Mode", "Extent", and "Application Settings"
0 Kudos