crashing on search

05-07-2014 11:24 AM
RobbHodges
Occasional Contributor III
I'm having an issue where the app completely crashes when I have it set to use my own geolocator. Is this just an early bug? Everything seems to work fine on the original ArcGIS app.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
NickBlack
Esri Contributor
Hi Rob,

It certainly sounds like a bug- the app should not be crashing. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please could you provide more details on your geolocator service so we can try and reproduce the issue:
1. What is the version of your ArcGIS Server?
2. How is the service configured?
3. Is the service publicly available for us to test it out?

Thanks in advance,
Nick
0 Kudos
RobbHodges
Hi Nick,

1. We are running 10.2.2
2. The water team just released a tool called siugle field asset geocoder (http://solutions.arcgis.com/utilities/water/help/asset-locator/), which is essentially using an address locator for things like asset IDs and such. We are using it on a number of assets (hydrants, valves, manholes, sewer lines, streets, etc). Again, it works great in the existing ArcGIS app on iOS, but immediately crashes anything in the new explorer app.
3. Unfortunately, the service is not publicly available. Our data is behind a firewall.

Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
NickBlack
Esri Contributor
Thanks Rob,

That's great, thanks for the extra info- I will work on a reproducible case so that we can fix it.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Nick
0 Kudos
RobbHodges
Thanks again for your help. Is this app going to replace the original ArcGIS for iOS?
0 Kudos
NickBlack
Esri Contributor
Hey Rob,

No problem- happy to help.

We're encouraging people to use Explorer in place of the ArcGIS app because of its modern and intuitive user interface. Explorer is the premier app for data discovery, exploration and map use.

In the longer term, we do not plan on having any further updates to the ArcGIS app. Explorers future releases will have new capabilities that include support for offline maps, editing features, support for time aware layers, 3D and analysis.

I hope that clarifies things a little.

Regards,
Nick
RobbHodges
Good to go, thanks.

One more thing...I noticed we can now go to the edit menu of the maps we create and add searches (with equals or contains criteria). That's great, but it doesn't seem to work on numerical field types, only text. I wouldn't mind using this instead of creating my own geocoder, but I can't seem to get it to read many of the fields that are important to my query.
0 Kudos
MarkStelzel
New Contributor III
I am also very interested in configuring searches for numerical field types.  How soon can we expect to have this capability?
0 Kudos
NickBlack
Esri Contributor
Hi again Rob,

I have managed to reproduce the issue and we'll be fixing the bug as soon as we can.

Thanks for the feedback on feature searching against numeric fields- I will report this back to the appropriate team. It might also be worth posting something up on http://ideas.esri.com/  where you can submit an idea about a Esri product and the community �??upvotes" the idea.

Regards,
Nick
0 Kudos
RobbHodges
Thanks, Nick! I appreciate the quick response. We are about to deploy the first round of iPads to our field personnel, so I want to make sure it's all working properly.

As for the ideas page, I've tried that before, but for some reason it doesn't like my login credentials. It always tells me there is a problem with my account. I'll try emailing the support email again.
0 Kudos