hyperlink attribute

05-22-2014 03:37 PM
JosephJose
New Contributor III
My organization intranet has a feature where further attribute values can be viewed on a webpage.

Basic programming stuff, an attribute with value "x" has a link to "http://www.myorganization.com/ViewDetails.htm?Id=x"

Can something like this be done such that this is reflected on Explorer?

One other way is to change the schema and include a new attribute and populate it which I would rather avoid as I don't have control over the db.
Tags (2)
1 Reply
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
You can create the pop-up to have links in that format when you are making the map. In the browser while making the map, configure the popup for the layer where you want this behavior so that it includes the link.

In the following example, we'll use ID_NUM as the field on your feature that includes the value you want used in the link, and we'll create a popup that reads "See more details about feature X online." where "online" is a link to the page including the ID:

1. In the pop-up properties, set the Display drop-down list to "A custom attribute display"

2. Click the "Configure" button below the Display setting. This opens the Custom Attribute Display dialog.

3. Type "See more details about feature "

4. Click the + at the end of the toolbar for the dialog and select the field with the ID (here I'll use ID_NUM). This inserts {ID_NUM} at the end, leaving the sentence: "See more details about feature {ID_NUM}"

5. Type " online.", making the sentence "See more details about feature {ID_NUM} online."

6. Select "online" in your sentence, and click the Create Link tool on the toolbar.

7. In the URL field, enter http://www.myorganization.com/ViewDetails.htm?Id={ID_NUM}

8. Click Set to apply the link and dismiss the link properties dialog.

9. Click OK to close the custom attribute display dialog.

10. Click Save Pop-up at the bottom of the Pop-up Properties panel.

11. Save your map.

12. Open the map in Explorer, tap on a feature, and you'll see the link with that feature's information. Tap on the link to open the web page.
Esri Education Team