Select to view content in your preferred language

Dojo, Jquery, EXT JS choice

07-20-2010 03:50 PM
JamesLangille
New Contributor
So I'm a refugee from the .NET ADF and I'm looking into moving to one of the client APIs. I'm leaning towards JS API because it works without requiring plugins. I haven't really done a lot of Javascript and haven't used Dojo, Jquery or EXT JS so I'm wondering what is the best framework to use? Are any of them better with browser compatibility or speed? Will I run into problems down the road if I don't use the ESRI preferred Dojo? Is it a pain in the butt to get Jquery or EXT JS setup and working? Also I'm thinking about using the Google API, does that make any difference?

Just looking for some advice from people who've been down this road already.
Thanks,
0 Kudos
2 Replies
stevegourley
Frequent Contributor
I have a hard time understanding why you would want to use anything other than dojo.  If you are already downloading the dojo toolkit to use the esri baked in widgets why make your user download another framework that have the same functionality sets as dojo?  Seems silly to load two javascript frameworks.  Even if you know one better than the other I still suggest learning dojo and using it when you're using the js api.