Select to view content in your preferred language

Which API versions go with server 10.1?

Jump to solution
04-10-2014 12:01 AM
grahamcooke
Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have been using the Flex Viewer for a while now but want to start developing in the javascript Api. One thing I am struggling with is finding the information about which is the latest version of the API that will work with ArGIS server 10.1

This might be a silly question and the response may be it doesn't matter which server version you have. But I wanted to check at the risk of appearing completely stupid!

Hope someone can help?

thanks,

Graham
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimCollyer
Regular Contributor
The API is more or less independent of the server version.

There probably exists cases where the API might not support a server feature... but none spring to mind. 😛

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimCollyer
Regular Contributor
The API is more or less independent of the server version.

There probably exists cases where the API might not support a server feature... but none spring to mind. 😛
0 Kudos
grahamcooke
Regular Contributor
Thanks Tim,

one more question if I may. For reasons I wont go into, I have to be sure whatever I develop runs on IE8. Are there any browser version limitations placed on the developer by the JavaScript API versions?

I realise there may be some functionality that can't be presented to users on old broswers but will the latest APi's still allow the user tto run basic ESRI viewer functionality something on IE8?

thanks for your help

Graham
0 Kudos
grahamcooke
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
TimCollyer
Regular Contributor
Thanks Tim,

one more question if I may. For reasons I wont go into, I have to be sure whatever I develop runs on IE8. Are there any browser version limitations placed on the developer by the JavaScript API versions?

I realise there may be some functionality that can't be presented to users on old broswers but will the latest APi's still allow the user tto run basic ESRI viewer functionality something on IE8?

thanks for your help

Graham

For the record, I also develop for IE8 and I do frequently run into issues, but it's almost always the lack of HTML5 and CSS support in IE8 (and IE8 being generally terrible at rendering javascript) rather than the functionality of the API itself. My best advice is keep it simple. 😛 Things like adding lots of graphics will result in pretty bad performance.

That said, I have also run into occasional API issues between browsers... but that will happen from time to time with any web API (any any API for that matter :p).
0 Kudos