Filtering domain list based on field in attribute table

Jump to solution
02-21-2014 10:02 AM
RyanPurdy
Occasional Contributor
I have two fields in my attribute table with domains and subtypes - SignID and SignType.  What I would like to do is when I pick a value for SignID it automatically filters the SignType drop down for the selections.

This is especially important for users in the field so they don't have a long list to scroll through.

So if I pick SignID=RA the drop down should have all of the SignTypes associated with RA.

I have a table with the SignID and SignTypes ready.  I am just not sure if this is something I have to program at the domain level or at the attribute level.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
It sounds like you need to set up subtypes and associated domains for your feature class.  From what you described, you will likely need a subtype for each possible SignID value along with multiple domains in the SignType field for each potential SignID value.  The domains can be set up through the Database Properties and the subtypes are set up through the Feature class properties.  It is in the Subtypes tab of the feature class properties where you will determine which domain in the SignType field is available for each of the possible subtype values in the SignID field. 

There are GP tools in ArcToolbox for Create Subtype and Create Domain which could be helpful here, but to me they are not as straightforward.  If you use the properties dialog boxes as I described though, there will be a lot of up-front manual entry. 

Conceptually, I think this is what you're looking to set up (it's an old link, but I think it demonstrates the point):

http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisdesktop/com/gp_toolref/data_management_toolbox/attribute_do...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
It sounds like you need to set up subtypes and associated domains for your feature class.  From what you described, you will likely need a subtype for each possible SignID value along with multiple domains in the SignType field for each potential SignID value.  The domains can be set up through the Database Properties and the subtypes are set up through the Feature class properties.  It is in the Subtypes tab of the feature class properties where you will determine which domain in the SignType field is available for each of the possible subtype values in the SignID field. 

There are GP tools in ArcToolbox for Create Subtype and Create Domain which could be helpful here, but to me they are not as straightforward.  If you use the properties dialog boxes as I described though, there will be a lot of up-front manual entry. 

Conceptually, I think this is what you're looking to set up (it's an old link, but I think it demonstrates the point):

http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisdesktop/com/gp_toolref/data_management_toolbox/attribute_do...
0 Kudos
RyanPurdy
Occasional Contributor
Thanks crafty762.  This definitely looks promising.
0 Kudos