Select to view content in your preferred language

Research Project (Sorting Data, please advise)

11-30-2013 07:35 PM
JohnNash
Emerging Contributor
Hello,

I am currently working on a research project where I have 9 rain gauges located throughout a farm where I will collect rainfall totals for a calendar year and do statistical analysis and determine the sensitivity of rain gauge measurements.

Here is my problem:

I have a spreadsheet which lists the rain gauge name, wind direction, windspeed, precipitation type, and precipitation amount for each rain event in a row. One thing I would like to do is plot the precipitation totals for specific wind directions (N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, and NW). How can I sum the precip totals for each individual storm event based on wind direction? For instance:

Rain Gauge Name    Date               dir_1     Type_1      Precip_1       Date_1       dir_2     Type_2        Precip_2
RG1                      10/3/13           NE      Rain                 1.02      10/5/13     SE           Rain          1.05

and I would like to plot only northeast winds first, then SE...etc..(obviously over the course of a year I will have many precipitation events)

I would like to map windspeed and precipitation type as well, however each gauge will have multiple events so how does one accomplish this task or sort the data?
0 Kudos
0 Replies