Extract Lanscape Source Data tool errors

11-08-2013 07:51 AM
StephanieFrank
New Contributor
I am trying to use the boundaries of several polygons withinin a single feature class to export soils data at the soil series level. Since using a feature class with several polygons will not export all the data (it would be immensely useful if it could do that), I then tried to draw the outlines of each polygon using the "study area" editor tool. I keep getting errors saying "Proxy server got bad address from remote server (verify the server is running)." I am able to use the tool using just a single polygon feature class that is not too big. Is there something I am doing wrong, or is it a tool issue since it's still in beta? It is very time consuming to only be able to do a single small boundary at a time.

I would really like to see the ability to export multiple polygons at once using an input feature class or drawing multiple AOIs.
Tags (2)
2 Replies
CharlieFrye
Esri Contributor
Unfortunately, we have an issue that we have not found a resolution to, which is that when the Extract Landscape Source Data geoprocessing service generates an error and sends the message you got, instead of the more informative messages we programmed into the tool. That we are still working on.

In terms of getting you further along quickly, first, try a small area (a very small area, like 1 square mile), and verify that the tool is working at all for you (it should be as we ran into this a little over a week ago and verified that it was running properly when a sufficiently small area was chosen). 

Generally have a look at the content item for the Extract Landscape Source Data service to get a better idea of how much data can be downloaded, in terms of feature counts. For soils, because the polygons are often rather complex, we support a maximum of 12,500 features per download, which is going to be a fairly small area. The easiest way to approach this is to split your study area into polygons that are sufficiently small and run the Extract service for each area and then merge the results.

Editorially speaking, yes we totally agree with you that this could and should be better. We learned a lot trying to do this (make it possible to download a subset of 37.5 million features in a feature class). For now this is what we can deliver and support, but are working on better ways and as soon as we have one we will deliver it--luckily we are releasing our software more frequently, and we will evaluate each release to find opportunities to improve.
0 Kudos
RichNauman
New Contributor III
Stephanie,

If you have a feature class containing multiple polygon features that you want to use as inputs to the Extract Landscape Source Data tool you can use model builder and loop through each polygon in the feature class using a Feature Selection Iterator. When you run the model it will extract and download data for each polygon in your feature class.

A simple model to do this looks like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29065[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos