Can the newly added features be exported as a new layer?

07-05-2010 04:15 PM
WenLin
by
New Contributor
Hi,

I was exploring the JavaScript API samples and hoped to find an application in which the user can draw directly on the interface, and the result of such drawing can be saved as a new map layer. This new map layer then can be exported and overlaid on other layers. Is it possible to do so in the ArcGIS server environment?

I saw that the Editing function within the sample page of JavaScript seems to be closest to what I was thinking about (http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/javascript/arcgis/help/jssamples_start.htm#jssamples/ed_selectionmo...). Within the live sample site, the user can easily create new features and edit their attributes. Yet, I am not certain if these new features can be saved as a new layer and added to other application, say, ArcGIS desktop... Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Wen
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AxelSchaefer
New Contributor II
Editing in a service is - after the submit - visible to all clients connecting to the service. This is a general advantage of editing in a service environment.

To download the features directly from the JavaScript editing client you have to do a server roundtrip because of downloading purposes. You can send the json from your graphics (which includes the attributes and the geometry) and create the download format and file in the server backend.
0 Kudos
WenLin
by
New Contributor
Hi Axel,

Thanks much! I will try this out when I get the server set up. Would you recommend any tutorials or references on this topic? Many thanks.

Best,
Wen

Editing in a service is - after the submit - visible to all clients connecting to the service. This is a general advantage of editing in a service environment.

To download the features directly from the JavaScript editing client you have to do a server roundtrip because of downloading purposes. You can send the json from your graphics (which includes the attributes and the geometry) and create the download format and file in the server backend.
0 Kudos