andyroo

Creating median, StDev, max, min, count grids from las file with 300 million points

Discussion created by andyroo on Oct 29, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 31, 2013 by andyroo
I am trying to figure out if ArcGIS is even worth working with to process my point data, or if I should look for another solution and just work with the finished rasters in Arc.

I am generating 1.5 billion point clouds of a 30 km strip of river every few weeks. I chop the river into 5 chunks for processing. I have noise issues with specular reflection from the water (using SfM to generate pointclouds), so I have a mess where the water is. The best way to deal with the mess.. I think.. is to (1) clean up spikes with a median filter, and (2) eliminate areas of high noise/low returns with a combination of statistics. So ideally I would be able to generate a grid for each of the following in the .las file - mean, max, min, count, and stdev.

My .las file stores everything as 1st (or last) return (I forget), and basically only has xyzrgb for each point. I tried to convert a <300 million point cloud to multipoint (actually I am still trying and it's been hours), but I am wondering if I should give up. I can get just about everything (except median, which is actually really important) from lastools, and I think I'll be able to get median, and maybe everything, with GRASS. I'd love to use ArcMap, but I am at a loss where to even start. .las file is 8GB.

Outcomes