Querying a Joined Table

07-05-2010 09:36 AM
LanceCrumbliss
Occasional Contributor II
hi all,

i'm trying to perform a query on a layer that has it's table joined to a stand alone table in the same geodatabase. since the stand alone table is in the same geodatabase as the layer, it shouldn't be a permissions issue. it fails using the web REST API interface. the query is 1=1 and the error is "Unable to perform query. Please check your parameters.", and as a result, it will fail in my silverlight app as well. all other attempted queries fail as well. there are only 30 features in the table. the table will open fine in ArcMap itself, and i can perform attribute queries there too. un-joining the table and republishing the map will allow me to query via the web REST API interface, but i wont have the joined attributes of course.

i originally posted this question to the silverlight forum, but i thought i may have more luck here. please see this thread for more details.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/7376-Querying-A-layer-that-has-it-s-table-joined

lance
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Lance,

I notice from the screenshot that was attached to the Silverlight forum post the DISPLAY field is set using a field from the joined table. Does it work if the DISPLAY field is set using a field from the parent feature class? Also can you try specifying a subset of outfields to see if that works?

Thanks
0 Kudos
LanceCrumbliss
Lance,

I notice from the screenshot that was attached to the Silverlight forum post the DISPLAY field is set using a field from the joined table. Does it work if the DISPLAY field is set using a field from the parent feature class? Also can you try specifying a subset of outfields to see if that works?

Thanks

hi ravi,

i changed the the display field to one in the parent feature class (PIPELINE_CENTERLINE.JOB_NUM) and republished the map.  I also tried setting the outfields to PIPELINE_CENTERLINE.DOCLINK and DOCLINK and performed the same 1=1 query.  still no luck; exactly the same error.

i've attached an image showing the new display field.  sorry, the bottom is cut off (working on a lower resolution laptop today), but everything past that is the same as in the original image in the silveright forum.

lance
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Lance, Are there any error messages in the ArcGIS Server log when the query request is made?
0 Kudos
LanceCrumbliss
Lance, Are there any error messages in the ArcGIS Server log when the query request is made?

hi ravi,

yes, here is the log associated with the query.

Level Message Time Configuration Host Method Name
INFO3 Server Context created. 2010-07-08 06:34:26 Questar2.MapServer Chip

INFO2 String request received. Request size is 1748 characters. 2010-07-08 06:34:26 Questar2.MapServer Chip MapServer.QueryFeatureData2

INFO2 QueryFeatureData2 has started. 2010-07-08 06:34:26 Questar2.MapServer Chip MapServer.QueryFeatureData2

ERROR General geodatabase error occured. 2010-07-08 06:34:26 Questar2.MapServer Chip MapServer.QueryFeatureData

ERROR General GeoDatabase Error. 2010-07-08 06:34:26 Questar2.MapServer Chip MapServer.QueryFeatureData

INFO3 QueryFeatureData2 has completed. 2010-07-08 06:34:26 Questar2.MapServer Chip MapServer.QueryFeatureData2

ERROR Method failed.HRESULT = 0x80004005 : Unspecified error . 2010-07-08 06:34:26 Questar2.MapServer Chip MapServer.QueryFeatureData2

DEBUG ERROR INFO = Error processing server request 2010-07-08 06:34:26 Questar2.MapServer Chip MapServer.QueryFeatureData2

INFO3 Server Context released. 2010-07-08 06:34:26 Questar2.MapServer Chip
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Thanks for the additional info. From the error messages, this sounds like this is a failure in the geodatabase. Would you be able to contact ESRI Support and submit a request to investigate this further. they will be able to determine if there is any configuration issue in the map document or if this is a bug in the MapServer or Geodatabase.
0 Kudos
KurtisPoettcker
New Contributor
Hi Lance,

I'm generating similar errors to yours only with the javascript API. I'm just wondering if you were able to obtain a solution to this issue.

Thanks for your time,

Kurtis.
0 Kudos
ScottDavis
Occasional Contributor
I'm also experiencing the same problem with the JavaScript API. Did either of you ever figure this out?
0 Kudos
douglascurl
New Contributor III
Ran across this thread with the same issue I was having with the Javascript API - appears to be an issue with using MSD files and using joins from a data tables that is in a different locations than the feature class. My .mxd works, but when I tried to use an .msd file I started getting this error. Switched back to using an .mxd. I'm on 9.3.1 still, so this may be resolved with 10. Anyone know?

The error is described here:

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDQ1MjU5
0 Kudos