Story Maps and local ArcGIS for Server

10-28-2013 11:46 AM
KentOgletree
New Contributor
I have one project that could really use the Shortlist Story Map. However this requires an ArcGIS Onliine account. Since we have a pretty heavy investment into our local copy of ArcGIS installed locally, there really is no need to setup an ArcGIS Online account.

Has anyone hacked the code enough for the Story Maps to know where I would start to change this to point to my local server? Or know of a similar example. I really only need to have a map to display Points of Interest with Popups that have a short description and link to a separate page.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DorothyMortenson
Occasional Contributor II
Did you ever figure this out? I'm just getting into the same boat. 

Dorothy
0 Kudos
BrianWays1
New Contributor III
In order to use the Shortlist Storytelling map template,You have to get the ID from the web map that you produce on ArcGIS online, so ArcGIS online is required. It takes no time at all to setup an ArcGIS online account and it is free with your license. Here at Coldwell Utah we have an account, and I know that Draper City does too. There is no need to "hack" anything. Just upload your .CSV files to a web map on ArcGIS online then copy the ID into the configuration in the source code. Save and host it. http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2013/06/21/using-the-storytelling-shortlist-template/
0 Kudos
DorothyMortenson
Sounds like the answer is it cannot be done, which is unfortunate.
0 Kudos
MattLane
I wouldn't say it can't be done, just a matter of deciding if it's worth the effort.

For example, the webmap id is just how they download (through json) the map's information, which then constructs the map. This createmap utility function mentions that instead of a webmap id you can provide the response object. So you could craft your own json response object and try putting that in the template and see if it will work.
0 Kudos
KentOgletree
New Contributor
Did you ever figure this out? I'm just getting into the same boat. 

Dorothy

I have not worked on coding around the ArcGIS Online issue as of yet, but pursued the code and nothing was obvious. However I ran into the same issue with the s2 parcel viewer and getting madder by the minute. Their was a suggestion to just get a free online account. Wont work since our imagery is licensed to a single instance of a server and we rely on that imagery pretty heavily.

Since the API is pretty standard you would think there would be at least an article, blog post, or forum post give some hints or some advice on how to accomplish this.
0 Kudos
AdamJoseph1
New Contributor

you can also parse your map JSON and define your map in cartoview. here are the instructions to create a web map without portal Cartoview . You will be building the JSON by hand, so be careful.

0 Kudos