cannot edit or create new features in ArcGIS.com

10-14-2013 03:07 AM
josesanchez1
New Contributor III
Hi all,

When I try editing a particular layer within my map service (using Mozilla 24) in ArcGIS.com, the web tool appears and even I am able to draw the polygon onto the screen, but when I try to do double click for closing it, it disappears and I loss what I have done.

The map service is stored within ArcGIS Server 10.1, so what I am trying to do it is just paste the URL of the map service into my browser and try to edit and creating new features from there. The map service has the feature access enabled.

The source of the data is stored within ORACLE 11g.

I would like to know how I could solve this. Overall, what I want to do is just editing within my Mozzilla browser. Perhaps I have to configure the map service in another way or maybe setting the oracle database connection in a different way.

I am not an expert on this, so any help will be welcome. IT is the first time I use Arcgis.com

Thanks in advance,

Jose.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Typically, when you enable feature access, you get two services: a map service and a feature service. It's the feature service that supports editing, if you've enabled it. This is the service you need to add to your web map.

Is your feature service publicly accessible on the internet? Check the version number of your arcgis server that it is 10.1 SP1.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/71801-Adding-new-records-to-feature-service

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
josesanchez1
New Contributor III
Mike, thanks.

You mean Mapping (always enabled) and Feature Access?. Yes, both are enabled.

But this map is not accessible yet from the internet. Instead, it is just the REST url of the Map Service which it has been copied and then pasted as URL into my internet browser. In order to make changes, save them and so on, are you suggesting open an online account?. I do not want to publish online any map, just to make testS using my Mozzilla browser.

So, when I try to edit or save, esri online requests me to sign in. Is this why I cannot edit features or add new ones?

Jose.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you are trying to edit from within the map viewer of ArcGIS.com? Then you would create a web map and add the URL to the feature service, not the map service. The fact that your service is not accessible from the internet can cause problems. ArcGIS Server 10.1, SP1 supports editing services behind a firewall using CORS. You may need to upgrade to 10.11 to do what  you're trying to do.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/71801-Adding-new-records-to-feature-service

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos