Connecting to In_Memory Storage

09-10-2013 09:11 AM
MichaelBowers
New Contributor
I am running a geoprocessing tool in Modelbuilder that saves a temporary feature class which is normally added into the table of contents at the completion of the tool.  I then review it for completeness and append it to a permanent feature class.  Sometimes, even though the tool works properly, the temporary feature class is not added into the TOC.  Is there some way to connect to and add data from the In_memory location?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
I think you should be able to set your workspace to in memory and then copy the feature to somewhere and add it from there?

env.workspace = "in_memory"
arcpy.CopyFeatures_management("yourfeatureclass.shp", "C:/output/output.gdb/yourfeatureclass")
0 Kudos
TerryGustafson
Occasional Contributor II

Tim,

I had a question along this line.  I have a model that creates a points table.  I wanted to add the Make Route Event Layer tool to the model to create a segment from the points.  the problem is when I create the GP service and run it, the points table is in "GPInMemoryWorkspace" so the "Make Route Event" does not see the point event to generate the segment.  Can you think of a way around this?  Can I point the tool to the in memory location?  I exported the model to python.  I have searched ESRI help but have not found anything on this subject.

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
# seg.py
# Created on: 2015-10-22 10:41:12.00000
#   (generated by ArcGIS/ModelBuilder)
# Usage: seg <first_point> <end_point> <merge__3_> <points> <points_Events> 
# Description: 
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Import arcpy module
import arcpy
# Load required toolboxes
arcpy.ImportToolbox("E:/MDTAPPS/terry/ref segment.tbx")
# Script arguments
first_point = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(0)
if first_point == '#' or not first_point:
    first_point = "E:\\MDTAPPS\\terry\\Default.gdb\\first_point" # provide a default value if unspecified
end_point = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(1)
if end_point == '#' or not end_point:
    end_point = "E:\\MDTAPPS\\terry\\Default.gdb\\end_point" # provide a default value if unspecified
merge__3_ = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(2)
if merge__3_ == '#' or not merge__3_:
    merge__3_ = "E:\\MDTAPPS\\terry\\Default.gdb\\merge" # provide a default value if unspecified
points = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(3)
if points == '#' or not points:
    points = "E:\\MDTAPPS\\terry\\Default.gdb\\points" # provide a default value if unspecified
points_Events = arcpy.GetParameterAsText(4)
if points_Events == '#' or not points_Events:
    points_Events = "points Events3" # provide a default value if unspecified
# Local variables:
first_point__2_ = first_point
first_point_Event = first_point__2_
first_point_ev = first_point_Event
Output_Event_Table_Properties = first_point_Event
end_point__2_ = end_point
end_point_Event = end_point__2_
end_point_ev = end_point_Event
end_point_ev_View = end_point_ev
Output_Event_Table_Properties__2_ = end_point_Event
MDTGIS_ROUTES_LRM_RM = "MDTGIS.ROUTES_LRM_RM"
MDTGIS_ROUTES_LRM_DC_MI = "MDTGIS.ROUTES_LRM_DC_MI"
MDTGIS_ROUTES_LRM_DC_MI__2_ = "MDTGIS.ROUTES_LRM_DC_MI"
Default_gdb = "E:\\MDTAPPS\\terry\\Default.gdb"
MDTGIS_ROUTES_LRM_DC_MI__3_ = "MDTGIS.ROUTES_LRM_DC_MI"
# Process: Calculate Field
arcpy.CalculateField_management(first_point, "Corridor", "str(!Corridor!) + \"_\" + str(!RM!)", "PYTHON_9.3", "")
# Process: Make Route Event Layer
arcpy.MakeRouteEventLayer_lr(MDTGIS_ROUTES_LRM_RM, "ROUTE_ID", first_point__2_, "Corridor POINT beg_offset", first_point_Event, "", "ERROR_FIELD", "NO_ANGLE_FIELD", "NORMAL", "ANGLE", "LEFT", "POINT")
# Process: Locate Features Along Routes
arcpy.LocateFeaturesAlongRoutes_lr(first_point_Event, MDTGIS_ROUTES_LRM_DC_MI, "CORRIDOR", "0 Meters", first_point_ev, Output_Event_Table_Properties, "FIRST", "DISTANCE", "ZERO", "FIELDS", "M_DIRECTON")
# Process: Calculate Field (2)
arcpy.CalculateField_management(end_point, "Corridor", "str(!Corridor!) + \"_\" + str(!RM!)", "PYTHON_9.3", "")
# Process: Make Route Event Layer (2)
arcpy.MakeRouteEventLayer_lr(MDTGIS_ROUTES_LRM_RM, "ROUTE_ID", end_point__2_, "Corridor POINT end_offset", end_point_Event, "", "ERROR_FIELD", "NO_ANGLE_FIELD", "NORMAL", "ANGLE", "LEFT", "POINT")
# Process: Locate Features Along Routes (2)
arcpy.LocateFeaturesAlongRoutes_lr(end_point_Event, MDTGIS_ROUTES_LRM_DC_MI__2_, "CORRIDOR", "0 Meters", end_point_ev, Output_Event_Table_Properties__2_, "FIRST", "DISTANCE", "ZERO", "FIELDS", "M_DIRECTON")
# Process: Make Table View
arcpy.MakeTableView_management(end_point_ev, end_point_ev_View, "", "", "OBJECTID OBJECTID VISIBLE NONE;RID RID VISIBLE NONE;to_MEAS to_MEAS VISIBLE NONE;Distance Distance VISIBLE NONE;RM RM VISIBLE NONE")
# Process: Merge
arcpy.Merge_management("E:\\MDTAPPS\\terry\\Default.gdb\\first_point_ev;end_point_ev_View", merge__3_, "RID \"CORRIDOR\" true true false 10 Text 0 0 ,First,#,E:\\MDTAPPS\\terry\\Default.gdb\\first_point_ev,RID,-1,-1,end_point_ev_View,RID,-1,-1;from_MEAS \"from_MEAS\" true true false 0 Double 0 0 ,First,#,E:\\MDTAPPS\\terry\\Default.gdb\\first_point_ev,from_MEAS,-1,-1;to_MEAS \"to_MEAS\" true true false 0 Double 0 0 ,First,#,end_point_ev_View,to_MEAS,-1,-1")
# Process: Table to Table
arcpy.TableToTable_conversion(merge__3_, Default_gdb, "points", "", "RID \"CORRIDOR\" true true false 10 Text 0 0 ,First,#,E:\\MDTAPPS\\terry\\Default.gdb\\merge,RID,-1,-1;from_MEAS \"from_MEAS\" true true false 0 Double 0 0 ,First,#,E:\\MDTAPPS\\terry\\Default.gdb\\merge,from_MEAS,-1,-1;to_MEAS \"to_MEAS\" true true false 0 Double 0 0 ,First,#,E:\\MDTAPPS\\terry\\Default.gdb\\merge,to_MEAS,-1,-1", "")
# Process: Make Route Event Layer (3)
arcpy.MakeRouteEventLayer_lr(MDTGIS_ROUTES_LRM_DC_MI__3_, "CORRIDOR", points, "rid LINE from_MEAS to_MEAS", points_Events, "", "ERROR_FIELD", "NO_ANGLE_FIELD", "NORMAL", "ANGLE", "LEFT", "POINT")
# Process: Script1
arcpy.gp.toolbox = "E:/MDTAPPS/terry/ref segment.tbx";
# Warning: the toolbox E:/MDTAPPS/terry/ref segment.tbx DOES NOT have an alias. 
# Please assign this toolbox an alias to avoid tool name collisions
# And replace arcpy.gp.Script1(...) with arcpy.Script1_ALIAS(...)
arcpy.gp.Script1()
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Sometimes, even though the tool works properly, the temporary feature class is not added into the TOC.  Is there some way to connect to and add data from the In_memory location?

If you are running the tool within ModelBuilder, right click the output dataset after the tool runs and click "Add To Display". If it's already checked, click it off and on again and your layer should show up in the TOC.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Michael,

Are you using in_memory for convenience or for performance reasons?

If the tool isn't supporting in_memory input, you can always use %scratchGDB% instead of in_memory.  %scratchGDB% maps to arcpy.env.scratchGDB which is guaranteed to be writable no matter the environment settings.

0 Kudos