Date field issue

08-21-2013 04:47 AM
CameronMcCormick
Occasional Contributor
Has anyone else had issues with date fields when uploading zipped shapefiles?  We have a user who uploaded data that included a date field that is Date data type.  The original data has an attribute of 8/12/2013, but when uploaded to AGOL, some of those records have the date changed to 8/11/2013.  To make an even odder observation, if you download the data from AGOL, the records match the original data.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Do you have the same issue when you publish it as a feature service?
0 Kudos
CameronMcCormick
Occasional Contributor
I haven't tried that yet, but another thing I just noticed was that in AGOL the record has 8/11/2013, but in Explorer Online, the date is 8/12/2013.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26843[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26844[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
In your organizational account is there a place where you can specify your timezone? I noticed funky things happening when publishing data with dates attached before.

The points for which the date is changed might be close to midnight and that's why it changes the date?
0 Kudos
CameronMcCormick
Occasional Contributor
I haven't found any time zone information in our organization account.
After speaking with the data owner again, I've theorized that there's probably some data migration issues.  The source was originally in an MS Access file that was geocoded to a .gdb and then converted to .shp and then edited and then zipped for AGOL.
Phew...
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III
I think you're running into this

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/arcgisonline/index.html#//010q00000007000000

[INDENT]The date and time in a pop-up window do not match the date and time in the underlying data.

Servers store dates in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). Web browsers convert the date to local time. For example, if you look at a time field in a pop-up window and you are located in California during standard daylight time, what you see is 8 hours earlier (UTC-8) than the time in the data. This offset might affect the date as well. If you look at a pop-up window with data from 7/7/2011 12:00 a.m., you see 7/6/2011 5:00 p.m.[/INDENT]

You can vote here to show your support for getting ESRI to fix the issue.
http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087E00000004SlJIAU
0 Kudos
KevinHighland
Occasional Contributor II
The solution I found came from a comment on that idea entry:

"If you enable time on the layer before publishing, it will apply the UTC offset to yoru local time."

I did this and it fixed the issue I was having with dates in AGOL.
0 Kudos