Select to view content in your preferred language

Share As Service not available

Jump to solution
07-16-2013 10:18 AM
MaribethPrice
Regular Contributor
When I go to Share As, only the Map Package option is available, not the Service option. I am a publisher in my organizational subscription to ArcGIS Online (I also have a separate account that I use as the subscription administrator.) I am definitely logged in to ArcGIS Online within ArcMap using the correct account.  I have shared services with this account before and have several running now under this user.    I double-checked that my account still has publisher privileges.  I have tried it with two very simple map docs, both of which have no problems when analyzed.  I know that our contract year just ended and our organizational subscription was recently updated with new credits for the next year.  Perhaps it is related to that?  Any ideas?
Maribeth Price
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
Is your map document in layout view or data view? It needs to be in data view to publish.

You can either use the icons at the bottom of the data frame to toggle back and forth or go to View > Data View.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
I would make sure that you're connected to online services. If you look at the hidden icons in the task bar there should be a little globe icon, when you hover over that does it say you're connected to ArcGIS Online and signed in?

Are you able to add an ArcGIS Online basemap to your map document from Add Data > Add Basemap?

What kind of data do you have in the map document?

Is it possible that you're signed into a public/personal account rather than an organizational account? Free public accounts do not have the ability to host services and would not give you a publish option when signed in.
0 Kudos
MaribethPrice
Regular Contributor
Yes, I've checked all these things.  I am signed into my subscription account; I can add a basemap.  I have tried it with two map documents--one which is a based on geology maps and is admittedly somewhat complicated, but I also tested it using a very simple feature class with a dozen building polygons.

I attached a screen shot of the menu, showing no service and that I am logged in, also also a snap of my profile, showing that I am a publisher.[ATTACH=CONFIG]25977[/ATTACH]

Think I need to log a support request, or is there something else to try?

Thanks,
Maribeth

I would make sure that you're connected to online services. If you look at the hidden icons in the task bar there should be a little globe icon, when you hover over that does it say you're connected to ArcGIS Online and signed in?

Are you able to add an ArcGIS Online basemap to your map document from Add Data > Add Basemap?

What kind of data do you have in the map document?

Is it possible that you're signed into a public/personal account rather than an organizational account? Free public accounts do not have the ability to host services and would not give you a publish option when signed in.
0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
Is your map document in layout view or data view? It needs to be in data view to publish.

You can either use the icons at the bottom of the data frame to toggle back and forth or go to View > Data View.
0 Kudos
BobWheeler
Frequent Contributor
I have found that if I share a service successfully then need to make some updates - I am unable to republish with the option to share with AOL.  I have to delete the map service locally and publish instead of overwrite.
0 Kudos
MaribethPrice
Regular Contributor
Ha!  That was it.  I never realized that before.  Thank you!

0 Kudos