AnsweredAssumed Answered

Synchronous Custom Printing - output names are not unique?

Question asked by schlot on Jun 20, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 by schlot
I have a custom print service set up, defined as synchronous.  I'm using the print widget and at first I thought I had everything working.  As I'm testing, I started to notice that some of my printouts weren't what I currently had on the screen, they were ones that I had created a little earlier.

I started looking closer at the output created in my arcgisoutput\printTemplate\ExportWebMap_GPServer, studying how long those files were around before they were automatically cleared out.  I haven't got it down to the minute, but around 15 minutes seems to be their life cycle.  Next I realized the once these were cleared, new files getting generated have the exact same names as the ones that I created several minutes ago!  Because the names are the re-used, the browser is displaying the cached PDF from the earlier print request, not the one I just created.

How can I work around this?  Why aren't these names unique?  Is this the behavior of the out of the box printTools or specific to my custom service?  Do I Just tell the users they have to clear their browser histories if they start seeing this?

I originally had this set up as asynchronous, but that came with its own set of problems, probably because the code sample I'm using was based on synchronous print requests.  I am 3 weeks into trying to get this print to work and I'm running out of time!

Outcomes