tomdilts

Can't run python stand-alone since upgrading to 10.1

Discussion created by tomdilts on Jun 14, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 20, 2013 by curtvprice
Hi,

I'm able to run scripts as tools in ArcToolbox but I can't seem to run them from IDLE directly since upgrading to 10.1.  Initially I had SP1 for background geoprocessing but have since rolled that back thinking that it might help.  The same problem occurs.  I get the following error in IDLE:

Python 2.7.3 |EPD 7.3-2 (64-bit)| (default, Apr 12 2012, 15:20:16) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
>>> ================================ RESTART ================================
>>>

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "X:\for_tdilts\outbox\GIS_tools_scripts\ClimaticWaterDeficit\Version10_1\extras\DurCWD_normal.py", line 6, in <module>
    import arcpy
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\arcpy\arcpy\__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
    from arcpy.geoprocessing import gp
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\__init__.py", line 14, in <module>
    from _base import *
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\arcpy\arcpy\geoprocessing\_base.py", line 14, in <module>
    import arcgisscripting
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
>>>

Is it that ArcGIS somehow is managing to point to 64 bit python but IDLE needs to be directed there?  Is there some sort of document with instructions that I need to be following for "post-install" of ArcGIS Desktop???

-Tom

Outcomes