Loading cached data

06-03-2013 10:09 PM
Labels (1)
StanleyHo
New Contributor III
Hi all,

I have a set of weather data (png format) stored in my hard disk to be overlay on top of the map.
How can I do it?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Does each image represent an entire map/area or are they smaller image tiles which make up a larger area?

Are the images georeferenced?

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
StanleyHo
New Contributor III
Thanks for the quick reply.

The image I have is only part of the world map.
I have a total of 4 files (each for different time of day) but all of them is only for a specific part of the map as it is where we are interested in.

I do have the *.pgw files for each of the images
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

You've got a couple of options:

#1. Use the out of the box API...

You could take look at this sample - http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/runtime-wpf/samples/index.html#/Add_Shapefiles_and_Rasters/02q20...

It may seems a little overly complex initially, and you'll need a Map Package created with ArcMap (in the correct projection for your data - or if it's WGS84 you could use the one in the sample data provided with the SDK). What happens is that a local dynamic map service is started on your local machine ("RuntimeLocalServer") and then using the "DynamicLayer" capability of that service you can completely change the service definition and insert your own rasters (images), shapefiles, file geodatabase, etc datasets. Just as you can for an online dynamic map service with the same capability enabled. The rasters/images will use the rendering built into the raster (there's no raster renderer in the API) - for the PNGs I think you should be fine.

#2. Implement your own Dynamic Layer class...
Take a look at the source code for the ESRI.ArcGIS.Client.Toolkit.Datasources on codeplex (http://esrisilverlight.codeplex.com/) - there's a HeatMap Layer which derives from DynamicLayer.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
StanleyHo
New Contributor III
thanks. I will look into both of them.
0 Kudos