Trouble making direct connection to SQL server 2012 instance/database

05-31-2013 08:54 AM
HenryGlick
New Contributor III
Hello,

I am very new to ArcGIS for Server, but am working on setting up a basic enterprise system using Arc 10.1, IIS, and SQL Server 2012, where the SQL software is on a separate computer from the ArcGIS for Server and IIS software. I am having trouble making a direct connection to my SQL database from a remote client computer because I can't get access to the specific instance that has been established. When I make a database connection from ArcCatalog on a client computer, I am able to connect to SQL Server and gain access to the "ReportServer" and ReportServer TempDB" databases, but when I try to connect to the specific instance (e.g. <servername\instancename>) I get an error that it is unable to connect. When I check the "sdedc_SQL Server" file in the Temp folder, the log reads:

IDBInitialize::Initialize Failed
CAN"T OPEN INSTANCE: sde:sqlserver.
Spatial Engine Connection Failed (-409).
Cannot Get Access to Instance see:sqlserver

I am able to connect to the specific instance and the database of interest from within ArcCatalog on the computer that houses SQL Server 2012, suggesting that this is just a matter of setting the proper permissions for the instance. I have all the permissions set and ports open that I know of or could find info on, but no luck. Is anyone able to provide guidance on how to resolve this? Any suggestions are welcome.
Many thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
HenryGlick
New Contributor III
Problem resolved.

After two days I figured out that there are two instances of SQL Server running on my data computer, and that the program was defaulting to an instance that I had not created a database in. After creating a database in the second instance, remote client connections worked fine.
0 Kudos