ArcGIS 10 Pre-release Intersect Failure on Large Dataset

06-21-2010 10:23 AM
MikeChancey
New Contributor II
I have been testing 10 pre-release with some of our standard processes.  The only issue I have encountered has been with the interesect tool.  I am trying to intersect two polygon features, one representing parcels (193,569 records) and one representing impervious surfaces, (681,255 records).  This is a process that has run successfully in previous versions of ArcGIS.  I have tried using input files stored in file geodatabases, shapefiles, and even coverages.  I have run repair geometry on the input features.  No matter what I try the query errors out. 

Reading Features...
Processing Tiles...
ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Invalid Topology [Topoengine error.]
Failed to execute (Intersect).
Failed at Mon Jun 21 10:25:46 2010 (Elapsed Time: 14 minutes 55 seconds)

From another run the error log shows:

- <ResultViews>
- <ResultView Tool="Intersect">
  <CommandLine>Intersect_analysis 'C:\GeoProcessing\SWProcessing\SWGISData.gdb\swBilling\swImperviousSurfaces #;C:\GeoProcessing\SWProcessing\SWProcessFile.gdb\KCMO\swParcels_Process #' C:\GeoProcessing\SWProcessing\SWProcessFile.gdb\KCMO\swImperviousSurfaces_Split1 ALL # INPUT</CommandLine>
  <ToolSource>C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\Analysis Tools.tbx\Overlay\Intersect</ToolSource>
  <StartTime>06/21/10 11:10:14 AM</StartTime>
- <Parameters>
- <Inputs>
  <Parameter Label="Input Features" Type="Dataset">C:\GeoProcessing\SWProcessing\SWGISData.gdb\swBilling\swImperviousSurfaces #;C:\GeoProcessing\SWProcessing\SWProcessFile.gdb\KCMO\swParcels_Process #</Parameter>
  <Parameter Label="JoinAttributes" Type="Scalar">ALL</Parameter>
  <Parameter Label="Output Type" Type="Scalar">INPUT</Parameter>
  </Inputs>
- <Outputs>
  <Parameter Label="Output Feature Class" Type="Dataset">C:\GeoProcessing\SWProcessing\SWProcessFile.gdb\KCMO\swImperviousSurfaces_Split1</Parameter>
  </Outputs>
  </Parameters>
- <Environments>
  <Environment Label="Precision For New Coverages">SINGLE</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Auto Commit">1000</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Minimize memory use during analysis on terrains">false</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Compression">LZ77</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Coincident Points">MEAN</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Random number generator">0 ACM599</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Raster Statistics">STATISTICS 1 1</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Level Of Comparison Between Projection Files">NONE</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Output has Z Values">Same As Input</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Maintain fully qualified field names">true</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Tile Size">128 128</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Pyramid">PYRAMIDS -1 NEAREST DEFAULT 75</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Default TIN storage version">CURRENT</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Output Spatial Grid 1">0</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Cell Size">MAXOF</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Output has M Values">Same As Input</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Output Spatial Grid 2">0</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Output Spatial Grid 3">0</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Maintain Spatial Index">false</Environment>
  <Environment Label="Precision For Derived Coverages">HIGHEST</Environment>
  </Environments>
- <Errors>
  <Error>ERROR 999999: Error executing function.</Error>
  <Error>Failed to execute (Intersect).</Error>
  </Errors>
  <EndTime>26 minutes 41 seconds)</EndTime>
  </ResultView>
  </ResultViews>

This process is mission essential, and has to work as a Python script.  So far I can't get it to work in the model builder window or even just straight from the toobox.

The error log mentions Output has Z Values and Output has M Values.  I am fairly sure neither input feature as either Z or M.

FWIW, the PC I am testing on sucessfully ran this process in 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, and 9.31.  We did do a fully reformat before installing 10 so there are no leftover bits of previous versions of ArcGIS.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeChancey
New Contributor II
Found my own answer on this one, read the system requirements first.  I had inadvertantly selected a PC that did not meet the minimums.  The specs require a dual core or better, mine was just a regular P4.  I uninstalled and moved it to an actual dual core unit and the large intersect worked quickly with no issues.
0 Kudos
jiaxingcui
New Contributor
Found my own answer on this one, read the system requirements first.  I had inadvertantly selected a PC that did not meet the minimums.  The specs require a dual core or better, mine was just a regular P4.  I uninstalled and moved it to an actual dual core unit and the large intersect worked quickly with no issues.

hehe    I have met this problem today. I think it's the problem that my computer dont have enough memory.
0 Kudos