Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to import this shapefile. (Generate Features exception 'null')

05-24-2013 06:10 AM
ChristopherThiry
Emerging Contributor
I am trying to create a new map on arcgis online.  In the past, I have used zipped shapefiles via the "add layer from file" feature.  Today, when I try that, I am getting an error message, "Unable to import this shapefile. (Generate Features exception 'null')".  I have zipped the appropriate files together (shp, shx, dbf, prj) into 1 zip file.  I reviewed my attribute table and found no entry with "null". 

What am I doing wrong?

Are there other parts of my files that I need to correct or change?

Many thanks in advance,

Christopher J.J. Thiry
Map Librarian
Colorado School of Mines
cthiry@mines.edu
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
it sounds like there may be a problem with the shapefile. Can you share the ZIP file here?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
ChristopherThiry
Emerging Contributor
Attached is my zip file.  No doubt I'm doing something wrong.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
it's working without problem now. I'm not sure what the issue was.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
SteveNelson
Frequent Contributor
Having the same issue - is there any trick?
Trying to load a .zip file of data from one of the Story Map templates.
0 Kudos
GusFrederick
Deactivated User
I, too, am having the same result. I attempted to import zipped files that I know have already been uploaded but I still have the same error...

Any help would be great!!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
@snelsonbanff, I was able to import your shapefile.
@gusfrederick, maybe try again. Or upload your shapefile here.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
GusFrederick
Deactivated User
This is just a test file. I was unable to import this shapefile...but all of my layers have the same message.

"Unable to import this shapefile. (Generate Features exception 'null')" <------------- What does this even mean? I don't have null values in the data.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Gus,

It works for me. I'm adding it directly to the web map.  I'm not sure why it's not working for you. What web browser are you using? Do you have a subscription to ArcGIS Online?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
GusFrederick
Deactivated User
I'm using Mozilla, and yeah we have a subscription through our school. I've been attempting to add data that has already been added to a web map, but no success...same result.
0 Kudos