Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to import this shapefile. (Generate Features exception 'null')

05-24-2013 06:10 AM
ChristopherThiry
Emerging Contributor
I am trying to create a new map on arcgis online.  In the past, I have used zipped shapefiles via the "add layer from file" feature.  Today, when I try that, I am getting an error message, "Unable to import this shapefile. (Generate Features exception 'null')".  I have zipped the appropriate files together (shp, shx, dbf, prj) into 1 zip file.  I reviewed my attribute table and found no entry with "null". 

What am I doing wrong?

Are there other parts of my files that I need to correct or change?

Many thanks in advance,

Christopher J.J. Thiry
Map Librarian
Colorado School of Mines
cthiry@mines.edu
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I'm not sure what's happening. It works for me in Firefox. What version are you running? Is it the latest? Can you try downloading the shapefile you uploaded here and use it?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
TimothieBiggs
Deactivated User
Doesn't sound like it's relevant in this instance but I have noticed in the past that if I select the shapefile components and zip in place everything works fine - but if I copy and paste the component files into another folder before zipping I get errors when uploading/publishing.
0 Kudos
LyleBoychuk
Emerging Contributor
I am having similar problems with ArcGISOnline, I am trying to add a small shapefile (30 records) to a new map and I keep receiving the error "Unable to import this shapefile. (Generate Features exception 'null').   I am a little confused because I have gone through this process many times before without incident, but now I am running into problems.  I have backtracked and attempted to repost data that I have been able to upload in the past but now are encountering the same error.  Any insight you can provide would be much appreciated....

Lyle
0 Kudos
TrevorHart1
Emerging Contributor
We are seeing this error on Portal for ArcGIS (10.2.1). Did anyone ever figure out what the issue was?
0 Kudos