ghwest11

Failed to executed (Identity) Invalid Topology [Topoengine error] HELP PLEASE!

Discussion created by ghwest11 on May 7, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 8, 2018 by lturley
ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 Advanced License (ArcInfo)

I have a model I am trying to run on 1.8 million points and 860 polygons. I am creating a buffer around each point and running an Identity with the buffers and my 860 polygons. Using shapefiles or personal geodatabase feature classes, the model would fail almost immediately during the Buffer tool, giving me a generic error like Error executing function, Failed to execute. I converted to a file geodatabase and ran the model again. This time, the buffer step succeeded in about 20 minutes, but the model failed during the Identity tool after about 5 hours. I got the following error this time:

Executing (Identity): Identity C:\temp\BMI_File.gdb\Buff_5 C:\temp\BMI_File.gdb\Parks_file C:\temp\BMI_File.gdb\Identity_5 ALL # NO_RELATIONSHIPS
Start Time: Mon May 06 15:15:22 2013
Reading Features...
Processing Tiles...
ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
The table was not found.
The table was not found. [Identity_5]
The table was not found.
The table was not found. [Identity_5]
Invalid Topology [Topoengine error.]
Failed to execute (Identity).
Failed at Mon May 06 19:47:15 2013 (Elapsed Time: 4 hours 31 minutes 53 seconds)

I ran this on a Dell Precision 3500 Workstation with 3.07 GHz and 8 GB of RAM.

Is this still a memory issue? Is the topology error something different? Should I add a step to repair geometry after my buffer tool before the Identity?

I've read a lot about these types of geoprocessing failures, but have seen little in the way of work-arounds. I've seen mention of using coverages, specifically in command line Arc/Info. This would require some instruction/learning for me, which is fine, but if there are other suggestions for dealing with this geoprocessing error I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Grant West
Research Program Associate I
University of Arkansas Dept. of AEAB

Outcomes