Cache Import / Export

04-25-2013 09:18 AM
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III
ArcServer 10.1

Have two large Cached Map Services, would like to have One Map Service.
Using Compressed / Mixed with same Tiling level schema.

Attempted several times to manage Cache via Catalog >> Import Cache...
always receive
"Failed to Import Cache Extent xxxx"
(extents of BOTH services are the same)

Tried Exporting from the other Map Cache and receive error:
000840 - Value is not a feature set.     ?? not sure what this means, what feature? what GP option is this talking about?

Tried exporting cache to a registered folder.. same result as above

Long story short, have three large cached services in total and would like to have them merged to one.
What is the best means of doing so, which will not throw an error as seen above?

Does Compact Format not work in Export / Import Geoprocesses?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
divyamgulati1
New Contributor III
It's a bug NIM081781 in arcmap 10.1.
Install SP1 update.

If the cache is of small size then you can simply use windows explorer tools to copy the cache from other services to the service you want to in the cache directory. The services should have same tiling schema. Restart the service and the service would recognize the cache.
0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
It's a bug NIM081781 in arcmap 10.1.
Install SP1 update.

If the cache is of small size then you can simply use windows explorer tools to copy the cache from other services to the service you want to in the cache directory. The services should have same tiling schema. Restart the service and the service would recognize the cache.

Thanks for the response,
Already have build 3143 which is SP1 for 10.1 - so this is not the fix.

One is not able to just simply copy over the cache as this is in the compressed format (.batch files), its not the same as exploded, or 9.3 format where they are all individual jpgs and you could move files around.

I have two caches with L11 folder, both have .batch files, both will have the same .batch file names (some are different and some are the same), you will either have a choice of renaming, causing failure, or replace files. 

e.g. R0280C0100.bundle  file in one cached map service L11 folder and in the next cached map service L11 folder.
R0280C0100.bundle exists as well.

I am not familiar with any other method of 'merging' caches other than the Import / Export GP available
0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Ive tried everything possible

Unable to 'merge' two caches (bundled compressed) from two cached map services.

alternatives? Do I explode these huge caches to be able to do the explorer move?

I was under the impression this is the purpose of IMPORT Cache and could import the cache from another cached service.
0 Kudos