Securing a map service

Jump to solution
04-29-2013 08:53 AM
DanielSanders
New Contributor III
I have a 10.1 map service that I want to make secure. These are the steps that I took to secure it in ArcGIS Server Manager:

1. Created a role "PrivateServiceRole"
2. Created a user "PrivateServiceUser"
3. Granted "PrivateServiceRole" to "PrivateServiceUser"
4. Created a folder "PrivateService", checked "Require Encrypted Web Access", selected "Private, available only to selected users", added the role "PrivateServiceRole" to the Allowed roles list.

Here are the ArcGIS Server Security settings:

Configuration Settings
User Store: ArcGIS Server Built-in
Role Store: ArcGIS Server Built-in
Authentication Tier GIS Server
Authentication Mode: ArcGIS Tokens

Token Settings
Lifespan of Short-lived Tokens: 60 minutes
Lifespan of Long-lived Tokens: 1 day

I then viewed the service by logging in as "PrivateServiceUser" on the arcgis/rest/services page.

Is that all there is to it, or is there anything else that can be done to secure the map service?

For instance, in ArcGIS Server 10, I was able to go into IIS and set IP Address and Domain Restrictions and control which computers were able to access the page to get a token. With the Web Adaptor, that doesn't seem to be possible any more.

Thanks...
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Daniel,

Is that all there is to it, or is there anything else that can be done to secure the map service?

Based on what you posted, you have restricted access to the web service. You can also implement some additional security measures, such as encrypting ArcGIS Server communication. Some resources:

Securing ArcGIS Server communication - help documentation

Building Secure Applications - Esri UC technical workshop video

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Daniel,

Based on what you posted, you have restricted access to the web service. You can also implement some additional security measures, such as encrypting ArcGIS Server communication. Some resources:

Securing ArcGIS Server communication - help documentation

Building Secure Applications - Esri UC technical workshop video

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
DanielSanders
New Contributor III
Thank you for the reply and links...
0 Kudos