Open ArcGIS.com feature service locally (>1,000 point records) and shared access

04-18-2013 01:18 PM
MatthewFoster
New Contributor II
Hello all,
I have recently begun a project working with a colleague to make additions to a point shapefile that I have now uploaded to ArcGIS.com.  The shapefile had over 1,400 records when I used ArcGIS 10.1 to share it as a service on our organizational plan.  I got no warnings and everything seems to have uploaded fine.  However, after two days of adding points, I have opened the feature service in ArcGIS desktop and only see 1,000 records!  All of the records are there online, including the 50 or so new points added recently.  Is there a limitation in this regard with ArcGIS.com?  Again, we have a paid organizational subscription, and i thought that got us around the 1,000 record limitation issue.

On a separate note, i'm wondering how to set things up to allow more than one person to make edits to the same feature service at the same time.  There will be more than one colleague adding points to this feature service.  Is that even possible?  I hope so.

Thanks all

Best,
Matt
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
When your map is published from ArcMap as a feature service, ArcMap configures the feature service to return a maximum of 1000 features for a given request. That's why you only see 1000 drawn. This feature limit prevents clients from requesting too many features, which can adversely affect the server. ArcGIS.com, displays more features because it will send multiple requests to get more features.  I believe at 10.2, ArcMap has increased the publishing limit to 2000 features maximum, but obviously for some data, this still will not be enough. There is no short term solution to this drawing limitation. Longer term, there are other projects we're working on that may help in this area.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
danialhaddad
New Contributor
From ArcCatalog, right click on the service, select Service Properties, and in the Parameter tab, change the maximum number. I don't think this requires restarting the Map Server.
0 Kudos
larrycamp
New Contributor III
In 10.2 Catalog, the option to change from 1000 features was "grayed out" for me.
Went back into ArcMap, loaded the 2663 features from their GDB, then Shared As > Service overwriting the previous service.  But, first, I changed the parameter to 3000 features.  After publishing, and loading the features right back into ArcMap from MyHostedServices, there are only 1000 features.

What is the way around this 1000 feature limit?
0 Kudos