java processes not running in 10.1 and 10.1 SP1

04-02-2013 11:15 PM
ChristopherMugdan
New Contributor III
We recently moved premises and moved our network to a new IP address running 10.1. When I re-started the machine the service were not running, but I could get to the manager. When I re-started ArcGIS Server, I could no longer gain access to the manager or services.

I uninstalled 10.1 and installed 10. SP1 from scratch. I did keep my \arcgisserver directory from when the machine had a different IP address (but the same name) though.

When I start the ArcGIS Server, the two java processes do not start, but the ArcGIS Server process starts. I cannot find any logs that tell me what the problem is.

Chris Mugdan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
Have you details in event viewer Windows?
0 Kudos
ChristopherMugdan
New Contributor III
I checked the Windows event logs and there was nothing useful in there. It gives two information log entries that provide the following message:

<quote>
The description for Event ID 5 from source ArcGIS Server cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

ArcGIS Server

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file
</quote>

So I am none the wiser.
0 Kudos
ChristopherMugdan
New Contributor III
Another thing I tried was un-installing the ArcGIS Server, deleting the C:\arcgisserver directory then re-installing the ArcGIS Server, but it still fails to start the java processes. The server itself starts. There are no error reports and the logs are empty under C:\arcgisserver\logs
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Chris,

Perhaps you can try to run the Java processes manually in order to see what is going wrong?

Here are the details from my machine for each process:

Path:
C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\jre\bin\javaw.exe
Command line:
"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework/runtime/jre\bin\javaw"    -Dnop -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Dsun.locale.formatasdefault=true    -Djava.endorsed.dirs="C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\tomcat\endorsed" -classpath "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar;C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\tomcat\bin\tomcat-juli.jar" -Dcatalina.base="C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\tomcat" -Dcatalina.home="C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\tomcat" -Djava.io.tmpdir="C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\tomcat\temp" -Dcatalina.log.level="OFF" org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap  start
Current directory:
C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\tomcat\bin\

Path:
C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\jre\bin\javaw.exe
Command line:
"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\jre\bin\javaw"  -Xmx256M -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 -Dsun.locale.formatasdefault=true   -javaagent:"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\geronimo\bin\jpa.jar" -Djava.endorsed.dirs="C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\geronimo\lib\endorsed;C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\jre\lib\endorsed" -Djava.ext.dirs="C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\geronimo\lib\ext;C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\runtime\jre\lib\ext" -Dorg.apache.geronimo.home.dir="C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\geronimo" -Djava.io.tmpdir="var\temp" -jar "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\geronimo"\bin\server.jar 
Current directory:
C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\geronimo\bin\
0 Kudos
DavidCarpenter
Occasional Contributor
We just ran into the same issue with and ArcGIS Server that was online and running fine.  Out of the blue users lost connection to the services and when I logged in to troubleshoot ran into the same issues you did.  Were you able to figure this out?

Thanks.

Dave
0 Kudos
EwanMiddleton
New Contributor
I'm not sure if the cause was the same, but I was experiencing the same issues getting an ArcGIS Server 10.1 service started after we had a power outage overnight. When the server was restarted, a previously fine ArcGIS Server install would no-longer work.
The ArcGIS Service would not start and the Windows Application event logs had the same message as described above, which is next to useless.

After a LOT of digging, I discovered that the Server service was failing on startup as it attempted to initalise a Logging service, presumably used by ArcGIS Server when it gets going.

I found this out by running the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\etc\scripts\startup.bat file which is used to start the ArcGIS Server Service. When run in a Command window, you should be able to see any errors starting the service.
Any errors are also logged here: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\etc\service\logs

Inside the service_error.log file in that folder, was an exception outlining failures when attempting to use an invalid JSON string.
I eventually found where that was coming from by searching for *.json files.

In this directory:

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\etc

there are some JSON configuration files, one of which was empty, namely arcgis-logsettings.json.
Once I had put the correct content in that file, copied from another ArcGIS Server instance, the service started fine.
The content of my file is:

{
  "logDir": "C:\\arcgisserver\\logs\\",
  "logLevel": "WARNING",
  "maxErrorReportsCount": 10,
  "maxLogFileAge": 90
}

Hope that helps somone!

cheers
Ewan
Michael_RMiller
New Contributor II

I know this is an old post, but this is exactly what I needed to resolve an issue on an old 10.1 ArcGIS Server that needed to be kept running until a migration was completed. Thanks!

0 Kudos
DerrickPlotsky
New Contributor II
Thank you for pointing me to the batch file and the config file! This is exactly what happened to me, right after a power outage.
0 Kudos
KeithPalmer
New Contributor
Ewan,

Thank you for saving me a LOT of time and a complete wipe and reinstall, since an AGS repair didn't fix the problem.  FYI - This can still happen in 10.2.

-Keith
0 Kudos