Select to view content in your preferred language

Maximum number of records returned by the server

03-27-2013 09:41 AM
JK
by
Deactivated User
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0154000003p1000000

Hello, I had a question regarding the max # of records setting on AGS 10.1 when creating a service.

Does that apply to the findTask in a JS API where a user can search for matching criteria and the results are returned in a data grid.  Or does it apply to a total of features returned in a dynamic map service (REST) when a map is rendered?  Or both? 

Also, I understand the AGS and browser's performance is impacted when raised above the default 1000.  Is there a number to stay away from?  2000?  3000? 5000?

Please clarify.  Thanks!!
James

ArcGIS Server 10.1
JS API 3.3
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffPace
MVP Alum
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0154000003p1000000

Hello, I had a question regarding the max # of records setting on AGS 10.1 when creating a service.

Does that apply to the findTask in a JS API where a user can search for matching criteria and the results are returned in a data grid.  Or does it apply to a total of features returned in a dynamic map service (REST) when a map is rendered?  Or both? 

Also, I understand the AGS and browser's performance is impacted when raised above the default 1000.  Is there a number to stay away from?  2000?  3000? 5000?

Please clarify.  Thanks!!
James

ArcGIS Server 10.1
JS API 3.3

My understanding is that it is both, basically any query of the service

And my practical experience is 500 was too high, and 1000 is much to high.  But that is my server, my environment, my data.

A query returning 2000 records that are points with a single attribute is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than my parcel query of very complex polygons returning 100 features each with 40+ attributes .
0 Kudos
JK
by
Deactivated User
Thanks Jeff.  That helps.  And you're right.  Other attribute fields factor in the service can bog down the server or client side.  I'm wondering if eliminating/hiding fields (that aren't used in API) in the source map document before it gets published improves performance.  What are your thoughts?  Maybe others can chime in as well.

Also, you say your limit may be around 500 or lower.  Does that mean you limit one service per web page.  Or you have multiple services under 500 feature per web page?

Thanks.

My understanding is that it is both, basically any query of the service

And my practical experience is 500 was too high, and 1000 is much to high.  But that is my server, my environment, my data.

A query returning 2000 records that are points with a single attribute is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than my parcel query of very complex polygons returning 100 features each with 40+ attributes .
0 Kudos