ArcHydro Tutorial and Documentation

03-07-2013 08:06 AM
Labels (1)
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
This is a response to a PM request about where tutorials for ArcHydro can now be found with the migration to a secure ftp service.

Esriâ??s ftp server were moved to a hosted secure ftp site. New login details are in this post from the ArcHydro forum: 

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/61799-ArcHydro-update-for-ArcGIS-10.1?p=255162&viewfull=1#post25516...

Youâ??ll want to use something other than your web browser to access and download. 

Data for ArcHydro 2.0 Tutorial is in the   /incoming/ArcHydro/Data/Tutorial directory 
Tutorial for ArcHydro 2.0 (ArcGIS 10.0) is in   /incoming/ArcHydro/Doc/ArcHydro2_0

Read the useful PDFs in   /incoming/ArcHydro/Doc/ArcHydro10_1 (ArcGIS 10.1) and 
/incoming/ArcHydro/Doc/ArcHydro2_1 (ArcGIS 10.0) 

No specific tutorial or data for 2.1 or 10.1 (ArcGIS 10.1) but the 2.0 tutorials can be followed once data is brought in with ArcCatalog, some adjustments for changes in the newer ArcHydro builds.

Stuart
Tags (2)
12 Replies
Antonio_M_Sample
New Contributor
Hello,

I'm a student at SPSU. I was interested in learning or attempting to learn ArcHydro on my spare time. I found this forum by on Google which eventually led me to trying the ArcHydro ftp site. I was wondering how do I obtain a code to access the pdf documents in the Course Materials folder (ArcHydro book)?

Thanks in advance,
Antonio Sample
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Antonio,

The contents of the Class Materials folder are Esri Professional Services - Water Resource Group proprietary instructional materials used in their fee-based instructor led courses. They are not publicly available and the password to the encrypted ZIP files is not released except to enrolled students.

The Arc Hydro Tools 2.0 tutorial  and data set as noted above are available.  Here are links.

sftp://ADSRiverHydraulics@mft.esri.com/incoming/ArcHydro/Doc/ArcHydro2_0/Arc%20Hydro%20Tools%202.0%20...//ADSRiverHydraulics@mft.esri.com/incoming/ArcHydro/Doc/ArcHydro2_0/Arc%20Hydro%20Tools%202.0%20-%20Tutorial.pdf
sftp://ADSRiverHydraulics@mft.esri.com/incoming/ArcHydro/Data/Tutorial/2.0/DataForArcHydro20Tutorial....//ADSRiverHydraulics@mft.esri.com/incoming/ArcHydro/Data/Tutorial/2.0/DataForArcHydro20Tutorial.zip

When working with this 2.0 tutorial and data, a few minor adjustments to data and steps are needed when working with ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 or 10.2 and corresponding versions of Arc Hydro Tools.

Stuart
0 Kudos
ZacharyBenedetto
New Contributor
Stuart,

So you're saying that if someone were to use ArcHydro 10.1 tools, with that Arc Hydro Tools 2.0 tutorial, there would have to be adjustments to the steps? How do you figure out what adjustments to make? Is there not an updated tutorial for the 10.1 ArcHydro tools?

Thanks
Zack
0 Kudos
MalcolmNunn
New Contributor II
Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but I'm trying to find the tutorial doc/data but both folders:
/incoming/arcHydro/doc/ArcHydro2_0/
/incoming/arcHydro/data/Tutorial/2.0/

appear to be empty. Have they been moved?

Cheers
Malcolm
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
Yes verified missing...

Changes coming? Or just a site glitch...

Stuart
0 Kudos
ChristineDartiguenave
Esri Contributor
The files should be back.

Christine
0 Kudos
PhilipGriffith
New Contributor III
Stuart,

So you're saying that if someone were to use ArcHydro 10.1 tools, with that Arc Hydro Tools 2.0 tutorial, there would have to be adjustments to the steps? How do you figure out what adjustments to make? Is there not an updated tutorial for the 10.1 ArcHydro tools?

Thanks
Zack

I'm curious about this as well. I'm currently trying out the 10.2 ArcHydro tools; there are two new tools in the DEM Manipulation section to create drainage line and sink structures, as well as some new features to adjust flow directions. I assume these are necessary for processing deranged watersheds, given that the old "Flow Direction with Sinks" has been deprecated. I'm going to do my best to piece the processes together using the new help file, but an updated tutorial would be wonderful. Any idea on a date one might be available?

Thanks for any and all help!
Philip
0 Kudos
PamFroemke
New Contributor
Anyone find the tutorial documentation for 10.1 yet? Seems kind of silly to post all the data for it on the website, but no instructions what to do with it!!
0 Kudos
PhilipGriffith
New Contributor III
Anyone find the tutorial documentation for 10.1 yet? Seems kind of silly to post all the data for it on the website, but no instructions what to do with it!!

It's possible to work through the Arc Hydro Tools 2.0 tutorial with the newer toolsets; though the toolbar has changed a little bit, all of the tools mentioned in the tutorial are still in the Arc Hydro Tools toolbox. Of course, if you're interested in the newer functions, that won't help you much! The updated help files explain what the new tools are doing (and sometimes how they're doing it), as well as the required inputs and outputs. By coupling them with the tutorial instructions you can piece together the intended workflow. It's not as smooth as an updated tutorial, but you learn a lot!

-Philip
0 Kudos